Audio Interface

KRiZ12

will i NEED and audio interface even if im not recording vocals, only making beats. Im trying to set up a mini home studio but i dont have a huge amount of money.

thanks.

Last edited:
It is not a question of will or do you need, it is a must. If you don't have a huge amount of money, are you at the age where you can get a job and if so, what is your edu level in that regard?

you'll need an interface if you want to record anything with an analog signal (XLR microphones, electric guitars, electric violins, analog synths etc.) . The interface can also connect your studio speakers through its outputs ...rather than plugging your speakers into the computer's headphone output.

If you just want to make beats, you can make them with your computer using a DAW and midi controllers. Midi runs straight into your computer. Older analog instruments have to go through the audio interface to convert the signal into digital for your computer.

it's a good piece of gear, but get one if you're really serious about producing. They'e easily $100+.

Last edited:
You'll need one eventually, most likely. While it is not an inherent necessity for a beginning producer, you will (probably/eventually) look into and want to incorporate hardware into your setup. This is the point where an interface will become a requirement. Research for which one you should choose should be time taken carefully with many factors considered. I researched for a year before I bought one, but I wasn't in immediate need and had the luxury of time, as well as the burden of being too damn busy to devote my attention.

Hi there,
audio interface, as OGBama said is a must. Money can be a problem, but you still can afford one. Look for second hand on ebay. A very good interface for beginner that i used to use is the M-track Plus, it has midi input and two mic input !!!
after you got the audio interface you'll definitely need a DAW which can be quite expensive depending on the one you want!!!

Last edited:
Behringer also makes very affordable and, despite the rep they don't seem to get rid of, fairly decent entry-level interfaces - the UMC22 only costs $40 and you get a mic pre with phantom and an instrument input, plus outputs for monitors. They're not just as shitty as they used to be :)

Back