ASK US ANYTHING! Mixing,Mastering,Production !!!

OK OK ...WE ARE BACK!!! GLAD to see this thread got some life in it!!

Ok so mixing Hip Hop VoX can go alot of different ways. In the 90's early 2000's - Biggie, Jay-Z , Wu-Tang Etc. Utilized alot of vocal stacking (multiple takes layered one center and 2 panned L&R) ussually total 4 tracks... three rapping one addlib. The addlib will just be panned or spread hard and HPF reallly hard to like 750hz. ....
But nowadys artists like Drake, Kanye, Future etc Go for more of One really solid take that is the lead and maybe another backing track to emphasize punchlines. It gives alot more of an intimate feel like the artist is talking directly to you but u will also need to make more space for the vocals by subtractive EQ and straight up LPF sometimes ie. Mike Will beats/Aston martin music is a good example too ...the addlib track is almost always the same ..panned hard HPF hard

I use Pro Tools for recording and mixing hip hop vocals. What are your methods of eqing and panning background vocals such as adlibs and overdubs. I heard alot songs were some artist dub there verse maybe twice and pan them left to right. Its sound really clear but not overpowering the lead verse. Kinda sound like its drowning but its not.

I have an problem here. I have my mix sounding just as I want. The problem is my plugins are clipping (waves EQ), but the channel themselves are not. So I turn the volume down to keep them out the red. Now when I put a limiter on my final mix, it sounds way too low. What can I do to fix this problem? Is it ok for my plugin outputs to clip, and only watch out form clipping on the master? I'm totally lost here.

I have an problem here. I have my mix sounding just as I want. The problem is my plugins are clipping (waves EQ), but the channel themselves are not. So I turn the volume down to keep them out the red. Now when I put a limiter on my final mix, it sounds way too low. What can I do to fix this problem? Is it ok for my plugin outputs to clip, and only watch out form clipping on the master? I'm totally lost here.

I haven't dealt with loudness issues in years but let me try and school you. Real easy. Set your threshold to 0db. Then raise the gain to a maximum level where things don't distort. After that do a loudness check by referencing stuff that you like.

And if your sounds are clipping its probably because your signal chain is not as it should be on certain tracks in your mixer. In other words, reposition your plugins.

Last edited:
Can you supply me with a link of the best video tutorials of how to understand the Mixing/Mastering Im starting to understand Equalizing and Mastering. But i wanna learn more, i just don't really know where to look for tutoring. (Im looking for free guidance) Help would be greatly appreciated

Well this might sound stupid but I'm 14 years old and I'm starting to produce and I want to know what is the mixdown and how to mixdown.
Cheers

I put my track up for feedback, and most of them were regarding mixing/mastering, but none were specified. So, I'm wondering if you could tell me what I need to work on (specifically). I figure this is the best way for me to notice what I need to improve upon. Maybe it's something I'm not aware of completely or maybe everythings just horrible.

I put my track up for feedback, and most of them were regarding mixing/mastering, but none were specified. So, I'm wondering if you could tell me what I need to work on (specifically). I figure this is the best way for me to notice what I need to improve upon. Maybe it's something I'm not aware of completely or maybe everythings just horrible.

not bad at all. you just need to enrich your strings by giving them some low end for warmth, add effects when you transition from what part of the record to the next, do a little automation where you bring in and bring stuff out you know? a hpf on the drums would work too at certain stops. overall just add subtle but very much needed effects and you'll have a banger.

What do you guys usually do when mastering?

I'm thinking rack-wise - I'm using Reason, and I've found it difficult to make the track as loud as many professional mixes?

I've got iZotope Ozone 6 too but I'm not sure how to use it probably :)

What do you guys usually do when mastering?

I'm thinking rack-wise - I'm using Reason, and I've found it difficult to make the track as loud as many professional mixes?

I've got iZotope Ozone 6 too but I'm not sure how to use it probably :)

Ozone 6 or any" in the box" mastering plug-ins will get you close to a commercial sound but almost impossible to achieve full volume and width with out hardware. We us Ozone etc for a reference but when a track is really good and we are going to release it we have it professionally mastered for a reasonable fee.

My advice would be to focus more on the mix portion just getting everything to sound clean and "sit" in its own space and not worry too much about "loudness" Also remember that tracks on the radio may be getting another "push" from the station so they stand out. For example Z100 here in NYC sounds much louder than most other stations even if its the same song.

Also another quick tip- when going for overall loudness you will always be sacrificing low-end so keep in mind that to have the mids and highs loud the kick/bass may have to take a lil dip.

Back