Applying Mastering Effects while Bouncing Tracks

Zarraboy

Hi, i own a Tascam 8 track multitrack recorder HD. I have just recorded 6 tracks (1 to 6). I will now bounce these tracks to a stereo mix (tracks 7 and 8) to free the other six so i can record two or three more. I will add different amounts of reverb for each of these six tracks. But my question is: Do i apply the mastering effects to these tracks that will be bounced to tracks 7 and 8? Or will it be ok if i bounce them dry and apply the mastering effects when i am ready to bounce stereo tracks 7 and 8 with the other new ones that will be recorded?

add your local fx now as you bounce down to two tracks

apply your master fx once you are ready to mix the remaining tracks - I do suggest that you also consider using the track out option and start a new project with bounced down stereo tracks rather than deleting your existing tracks (keep safeties always)

I applaud you for trying to do it this way - I remember fondly the days of doing this with two two-track reel-to-reel machines (record two tracks then dub down to a mono track on the other machine while playing a 3rd track then recording another track and then dubbing back to the other machine whilst recording 5th track and so ) and then, later, a 4-track cassette unit - making mix decisions 4 or 5 recording takes ahead teaches you so much more than having infinite tracks in a daw

Excellent! Thanks a lot for the instructions and also for the encouraging words ! Much apreciated. It makes me feel kind of powerful while moving real faders rather than mice :-)

add your local fx now as you bounce down to two tracks

apply your master fx once you are ready to mix the remaining tracks - I do suggest that you also consider using the track out option and start a new project with bounced down stereo tracks rather than deleting your existing tracks (keep safeties always)

I applaud you for trying to do it this way - I remember fondly the days of doing this with two two-track reel-to-reel machines (record two tracks then dub down to a mono track on the other machine while playing a 3rd track then recording another track and then dubbing back to the other machine whilst recording 5th track and so ) and then, later, a 4-track cassette unit - making mix decisions 4 or 5 recording takes ahead teaches you so much more than having infinite tracks in a daw

I'm really glad we don't have to stuff this way anymore :D
Now it's all so easy compared :)

Back