Any tips on layering ?

Sonic Hedgehog

Hi I want to make my drops more expansive but doing so results in too many synth sounds that sound muddy together. Any tips on layering synths will be appreciated.

I guess one of the basic concepts of layering is to give the different sounds their own "frequency slot", so if one sound takes care of the low end range, you filter/EQ it out of the others. Remember that the sounds don't have to sound "good" on their own - make it sit in the mix instead, which may mean that the components of the whole thing can sound pretty tinny or dull when soloed.

most of the times can 1 sound expansive if you process it right, then only if needed, make layers. don't choose 10 random sounds and try to layer them cause it will most of the times sound bad.

As Krushing indicated, you need to find the frequencies where the mud begins and make some cuts.
It's all well and good to have every sound sounding perfect individually but compromises must be made for the good of the whole.

Last edited:
Use synths with different frequencies. ex. one synth has dominating frequency at 650Hz, other 2500Hz, and so on. The reason for muddy sound might be the synths using same frequencies on the frequency spectrum.

I think talking in terms of frequencies is misleading. It implies each sound has a narrow band and they add into a wider band. Which is a pretty restrictive idea.

It's better to think in terms of colour. A saw-tooth and a square can be layered but you can tell, by ear, that it is a mixture even though those two sounds both inhabit the full spectrum of frequencies. Colour is about more than just dominant frequencies in any simple sense.

So you can add a warm colour to a cold colour. Bright and dark. Harsh and smooth. Hollow to fat. However you perceive it.

Also you can layer for structural purposes rather than colour. For example you might have a sound that has a nice colour but maybe it has in indistinct image... so you can double another sound with a clear sharp attack to give the sound a precise rhythmic structure. Or often I will create a sound that has an interesting timbre but can't really be made too loud (maybe it's too harsh) so you can mix it with a much simpler warmer synth patch to fill out it's body. I literally just did this with an FM synth patch.

I think talking in terms of frequencies is misleading. It implies each sound has a narrow band and they add into a wider band. Which is a pretty restrictive idea.

Agreed. It's a convenient way to explain the basic idea, but it's true that it's a bit of an oversimplicifation that can lead into trouble...

I've tried layering in the past but I've found just one good synth is all you really need. The problems come when you mess with a synth (its actually wave) to give it it's unique flavor. Layering will only duplicate the melody (the notes). Having too many backup melodies may be super distracting if mixed poorly. I think layering on programmed drums is okay because its adds some punch to it, and can expand the dynamic range....but the melodies might be better with only a few instruments.

And obviously dubbing can be cool, but like for something you're recording like vocals or trumpet or whatever..

idk.. lol cheers

Last edited:
...but of course adding some lower frequency bass to a mid range bassline is a good idea to add the "feels" to it, if that's what you're going for. That low low bass is more of a physical feeling rather than a audible one. The low one hits. The mid range one lets you hear it.

Layering is important, the most difficult Is to give the feeling there is one or 2 instruments, instead of 6, because in a whole mix they are hidden. This is right especially for consumers who don't have listening experience, they think it's only 1 instrument but in the reality it's more than one. It's a question of volume, even we don't hear it clearly, it adds this "professional" sound to a track

Back