Any Sample layering advice?

Cheeze Man

I've got a pretty decent style of doing this but I'm interested in how other artists perform their sample layering.

it's not too difficult really I just assign the same note to different slots in my sampler and find what works. The other thing I like to do is layer proper autonomous percussive loops by playing them like chords, so one key holds a shaker loop and the other key holds a high hat loop and so on all playing at the same time but so I can shift the timing and drop them in and out etc if I want too.

It depends on what you are layering, because each type of sound will kind of set the technique of how you will approach it.

With a question worded in that manner, I'm really not sure what kind of detailed answer you expected.

I Presume you mean layering drum samples? I think it is cool to layer them as you work so that you have more control over what sounds are being used and at what time and it allows you to adapt the final layered sound from layering the samples for your beat. What hollandturbine said is a very creative way to dealing with drum playing them as chords etc, a lot of producers just experiment with the samples untill they find what works for them, i don't think there are any set rules or methods for layering samples, i think it is just impulse of the moment but that's my own opinion. All the best bro, Peace!

I don't always layer my drums, but when I do I put them on different pads in Ableton Drum Rack, leaving them on different midi notes. I prefer copying the midi notes instead of triggering all layered sounds with one midi note. I'm more flexible that way and can set accents by taking out one of the layered sounds here and there.
Processing wise I do what ever is needed. I tend to EQ and filter the sounds individually and process the dynamics in a group.

Btw, you say you have a pretty decent style of layering samples. Don't you want to share it?

Back