Any Mixing Tips to Achieve that "Professional Sound"?

Drachensoul

Hello all, I've just registered here and hope to get to know a good lot of you!

I've dabbled in music making for over a year, but I started taking it seriously only a couple of months ago. After about 15-20ish different tracks in total, I think I'm starting to get the hang of my work, but I still want better quality for that "professional feel". An example (and personal favorite of mine) would be Hey Mami by Sylvan Esso and Big Wild. It all sounds so perfectly synergetic between the instruments, drums, etc. So are there any mixing or mastering tips a few old masters here could give?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just keep going man, mixing is more experience than talent so it takes a while to develop you skill. Learn from other mixing engineers and colab with them. Theres no magic plugin that can make you mixes better sorry to say. I would suggest learning the plugins you have and how to use them rather than just buying a bunch of plugins and not knowing how to use them. Get you tracks properly mastered or start learning how to do it you self if you are interested in that. Your mixes can only get better so remember that the next one you do will be better than the last. I like to use that thought as motivation

Hello all, I've just registered here and hope to get to know a good lot of you!

I've dabbled in music making for over a year, but I started taking it seriously only a couple of months ago. After about 15-20ish different tracks in total, I think I'm starting to get the hang of my work, but I still want better quality for that "professional feel". An example (and personal favorite of mine) would be Hey Mami by Sylvan Esso and Big Wild. It all sounds so perfectly synergetic between the instruments, drums, etc. So are there any mixing or mastering tips a few old masters here could give?

Cheers!

Get the right hardware, unmask frequencies early, be true, be creative and make music that you love in a passionate, truthful, caring and loving environment.

For me, next to the pure mixing technics, when you speak about "professional sound", it's all about saturation. If you have Waves or UAD, make this experience : put 2-3 consoles, doing nothing as inserts, 1 tape machine doing nothing, 2-3 compressors doing nothing and hear the difference, you'll hear this "sonic professional sound". I recommend the Slate digital subscription, which is really cheap compared to all the plugins available inside this bundle. They have a console, tape machine, the new saturation plugins, some preamps, try to add them doing nothing, you'll see

For me, next to the pure mixing technics, when you speak about "professional sound", it's all about saturation. If you have Waves or UAD, make this experience : put 2-3 consoles, doing nothing as inserts, 1 tape machine doing nothing, 2-3 compressors doing nothing and hear the difference, you'll hear this "sonic professional sound". I recommend the Slate digital subscription, which is really cheap compared to all the plugins available inside this bundle. They have a console, tape machine, the new saturation plugins, some preamps, try to add them doing nothing, you'll see
+1

Back