Analog Summing... Benefits?

@ SmooveMode,
It seems you totally missed my point.
Perfect => useless not better.
If there is a difference, it's due to imperfections which aren't always desirable.

Does analogue summing make a difference? If it's a good analogue summing unit, then yes.

Is that difference beneficial? Well that's personal taste and choice isn't it?

It's really down to how much easier the analogue summing makes your job as a mixer, and that varies depending on the mixer. It's also down to budget, you're not going to spend thousands on an analogue summing solution in a non-profit studio situation and think that was a real benefit.

Personally I think that a great analogue mix bus chain of compressor and EQ will make far more difference than analogue summing. However high end analogue summing is another tool, it does something else that cannot be achieved by anything else.

I bought an X-Rack summing unit because I loved mixing on SSL desks where I found it easier to achieve my mix goals when simply putting up levels. It was a final piece of a puzzle for me, and I already had a lot of outboard gear that I had built up over years covering other areas. I also wanted a "clean" summing unit as I had plenty of other gear for adding character.

In the first few weeks I spent a lot of time doing controlled summing tests to really see what it was doing. My studio is based in one of the top mastering facilities, so I would also do blind testing with the mastering engineers in their room on various monitors (big PMCs etc).

More depth, punch, bass extension / phase alignment and a smoothing of the brittle digital top are a few things that were very obvious to our ears.

In reality it's a small difference when compared to the other pieces of gear I've purchased, but it allows me to get to the goal quicker, and after working with it allows you to achieve higher quality mixes than was possible before. Not by much, but at that level every little advantage helps :)

Is it necessary? No.

Will it be right for everyone? No.

Does analogue summing make a difference? If it's a good analogue summing unit, then yes.

Is that difference beneficial? Well that's personal taste and choice isn't it?

It's really down to how much easier the analogue summing makes your job as a mixer, and that varies depending on the mixer. It's also down to budget, you're not going to spend thousands on an analogue summing solution in a non-profit studio situation and think that was a real benefit.

Personally I think that a great analogue mix bus chain of compressor and EQ will make far more difference than analogue summing. However high end analogue summing is another tool, it does something else that cannot be achieved by anything else.

I bought an X-Rack summing unit because I loved mixing on SSL desks where I found it easier to achieve my mix goals when simply putting up levels. It was a final piece of a puzzle for me, and I already had a lot of outboard gear that I had built up over years covering other areas. I also wanted a "clean" summing unit as I had plenty of other gear for adding character.

In the first few weeks I spent a lot of time doing controlled summing tests to really see what it was doing. My studio is based in one of the top mastering facilities, so I would also do blind testing with the mastering engineers in their room on various monitors (big PMCs etc).

More depth, punch, bass extension / phase alignment and a smoothing of the brittle digital top are a few things that were very obvious to our ears.

In reality it's a small difference when compared to the other pieces of gear I've purchased, but it allows me to get to the goal quicker, and after working with it allows you to achieve higher quality mixes than was possible before. Not by much, but at that level every little advantage helps :)

Is it necessary? No.

Will it be right for everyone? No.

+1

If you want to argue this experienced engineer's comment, be my guest but this is exactly the point.

Think about it though. You're most likely separating digital tracks and re-summing them through an analog piece of equipment. It's definitely hype. I'd just use a tape emulator plugin if you're going for that analog sound. Otherwise, the only way I'd really consider this worth my time is if I kept my entire signal chain analog the entire time. I'd only let it go digital at the DAW, and immediately come right back out for processing.

Think about it though. You're most likely separating digital tracks and re-summing them through an analog piece of equipment. It's definitely hype. I'd just use a tape emulator plugin if you're going for that analog sound. Otherwise, the only way I'd really consider this worth my time is if I kept my entire signal chain analog the entire time. I'd only let it go digital at the DAW, and immediately come right back out for processing.

It doesn't work like that. I have about 6 tape sim plugs, VCC and it's not the same. Let's say you have a focusrite saffire converter? Ok, maybe summing through that & a mackie will not be that beneficial. But, if you sum/mix through a really good converter and summing box/console that exact same track will sound different and even virtual instruments sound more believable not to mention routing options that allow you to use analog compressors and EQs.

I dare you to take those same digital tracks you mixed ITB, sum them through a SSL console, Avid HD converters, SSL compressor on 2-bus and say there's no difference.

It's definitely hype. I'd just use a tape emulator plugin if you're going for that analog sound.

For me the summing itself has nothing in common with the results you'll get from mixing to 2-track tape, let alone a plugin that emulates 2-track tape.

Desks and summing boxes may well impart a sound through their transformers / valves / components depending on the equipment, but that isn't the difference that the summing makes.

If you have the chance, go to a studio with a large footprint SSL desk (E, G, J, K etc.) and do some controlled comparisons of flat summing - including simply going in and out the converters.

Then compare that to your tape plugin.

As I said it's personal preference and it's not for everyone, and the difference it makes is small compared to changes in tone or dynamics from other processes, but the difference in sound from great summing is unique and can't be achieved from anything else.

I hope that helps.

I just did an Analog Mix of a mix I made ITB. The results were totally different. The analog had less "edge" and was more creamy. This was done through an A&H GSR24 with the Analogue faders doing the attenuation and the DAW was only controlling the faders but the DAW did not attenuate the volume digitally. The difference between an ITB mix become more pronounced the harder you hit the analog gear/mixer. The disadvantage of a summing mixer vs a mixing console is the console allows you to attenuate the volume when a summing box usually doesn't (there are some that will let you).

The difference is far from HUGE.

Analog summing sounds better but the difference isn't worth it IMO unless you have a big budget.

+1

Stupid hype for the "analog" stuff. Great sound if you get the plugins counterpart.
I would never get something analog since companies have created some perfect emulation out of them so... I'll save myself some thousands :)

@OP: The video below is talking about analog summing plugins, in case you're interested to check out the difference.

Last edited:
Back