Amateur Producer Problems

BeautyTheBeat

I just recently got all the equipment to begin recording vocals. As someone who's just starting, how am I supposed to get better at recording people when A) I have no one to record; and B) I'm not familiar enough with the software to make it sound good. I have to practice to get better, but no one wants to work with a producer who's new. Please help

Just find friends nearby and don't make a too big thing out of it, just say that it will be fun. If they love to sing, they surely will join.

^^^ They're both right haha...

But yeah - do you know ANY musician friends; or some dude with a guitar; or go to any open mic nights; or a friend from school who wants to rap; or etc.

Just doing the honest approach will be good though - "I want to start learning vocal production - you wanna record some stuff?".

Easy question, but: can you sing?

Ok. So I took you all's advice and found a guy who raps. He brought his producer friend over(he's been producing for 8 years) and they basically used my equipment to make songs and beats.. I'm learning stuff but I pretty much feel life a 3rd wheel in my own studio right now. Hopefully it'll be worth it. Thank yu all for your time

That's all ok - unless they want to start "borrowing" you gear haha...

Next time; let them know that you want to do the mic placement for the vocalist, and put the pop filter on; set the levels. It won't hurt if you're "their technician" for a little while. For all you / we know; the "8 year producer" could be either good or sh#t at this all though too... always learn with your own eyes and ears too...

Possibly better too to find some truly new dude(s) - someone you can work with just as the two of you... Tell all your real friends about what you want to do; and get them to ask their extended friends. You'd be surprised at just how many casual singers / rappers there are out there!

I wouldn't shy away from letting these other dudes show you a thing or too though either though (as long as they're not @rseholes or w@nkers; or both).......

Peas

one question, you didnt have people for singing/rapping, and do not know about softwers...WHY then did you buy it? no logic

Hi, very nice to take a dive into the deep and buy these equipment. now the only way to learn it is to also take a deep dive in practicing. Very good of you to invite the rapper and producer. Try to see how they work, tell them you also want to try and start learning. Try seeing it the other way around: there are a lot of people who want to have the equipment you've got. So for you thats one obstacle out of the way. Now start learning, that is the fun part.

one question, you didnt have people for singing/rapping, and do not know about softwers...WHY then did you buy it? no logic

"Yeah, why weren't you born with the innate ability of knowing how to use a Digital Audio Workstation?"

How else is he supposed to learn?

My advice would actually be to not read sites like this too often and just have fun. If you're asking how to record other people then it sounds like you aren't getting people to record with you under the pretense of having fun. That's how a lot of people learned how to record. Not to say there won't be frustrating times.

All about marketing, start with the basics and work around your friends group and mutual friends groups. then go on various forums and start looking for those who need the equipment yet already have the talent.

Back