Advice on plug-ins

J_WONDER3000

J_WONDER3000
Just curious how everyone goes about deciding which plug-ins will work best for them. Looking at Izotope, Voxengo, and Waves, and I am curious what would make one go with one or the other. Like which would cater to certain sounds? Either way any advice is helpful! Unsure all the way about this question so direct me to what I should really be asking if I am off the mark.

All are excellent products, and what they have in common is a focus on mastering, so assume that's what you're asking. Yeah, you want a specific answer, but there isn't one. Any of these tools, in the hands of an experienced engineer, can achieve the desired results. Really comes down to your preferred workflow and what you, personally, want your sound to be.

More specific details about what you are trying to do would be useful, because:

These are all expensive plugins, and if you are talking about mastering there are many options to consider
There are many decisions to be made in mixing (as opposed to mastering), usually involving an entirely different signal chain
Mixing and mastering are (really, not kidding) two separate activities
Mastering is best done by a specialized engineer - different skill set, fresh set of ears, etc (i know this is not always possible)

So, don't be concerned about which product to use - they all work. Try the demos, pick the one that appeals to you, and learn to use it well.

What you mentioned are plugin brands. All three have a vast palette of plugins for different purposes. I personally like plugins from all three brands.

There really is no such thing as a go to plugin brand and the selection of plugins comes down to a matter of taste. Try different plugins and stick with those you personally like, workflow and soundwise.

Just don't spend too much time on your plugin selection as your tastes and preferences will most certainly change over time anyway.

for new producers, the reason would probably be because their peers/idols uses that and promotes it (which is for a good reason. they're good)
but i think some of it's because of :

1. workflow (how it affects the way you work. maybe you want a simple look without fancy GUI going on. perhaps Waves would do, because their interface are a bit old so it's easier to go through parameters)

2. sound (perhaps one sounded better than the other, like "warmth" etc.)

3. features (VST A might not have several features on VST B. This might be one of the most important reason)

4. CPU load (VST A takes more and VST B takes less to do the same job)

All are excellent products, and what they have in common is a focus on mastering, so assume that's what you're asking. Yeah, you want a specific answer, but there isn't one. Any of these tools, in the hands of an experienced engineer, can achieve the desired results. Really comes down to your preferred workflow and what you, personally, want your sound to be.

More specific details about what you are trying to do would be useful, because:

These are all expensive plugins, and if you are talking about mastering there are many options to consider
There are many decisions to be made in mixing (as opposed to mastering), usually involving an entirely different signal chain
Mixing and mastering are (really, not kidding) two separate activities
Mastering is best done by a specialized engineer - different skill set, fresh set of ears, etc (i know this is not always possible)

So, don't be concerned about which product to use - they all work. Try the demos, pick the one that appeals to you, and learn to use it well.

Honestly I don't get mastering at all. I am mainly focused on trying to create the best mixes that can be made. If I can do them with Stock plug-ins that's fine and what I am really looking for. Is mastering something that can be learned, but tutorial or is that more of a hands on thing. I understand there are treated rooms and the whole nine, just out of curiosity is it possible to learn online (or with some guidance).

What you mentioned are plugin brands. All three have a vast palette of plugins for different purposes. I personally like plugins from all three brands.

There really is no such thing as a go to plugin brand and the selection of plugins comes down to a matter of taste. Try different plugins and stick with those you personally like, workflow and soundwise.

Just don't spend too much time on your plugin selection as your tastes and preferences will most certainly change over time anyway.

thanks for this info, because I have been so focused on creating quality mixes and all tutorials are using these plug-ins. So it makes me unsure if its because that's the standard, or if my Abelton Live 9 Suite plug-ins are good enough.

for new producers, the reason would probably be because their peers/idols uses that and promotes it (which is for a good reason. they're good)
but i think some of it's because of :

1. workflow (how it affects the way you work. maybe you want a simple look without fancy GUI going on. perhaps Waves would do, because their interface are a bit old so it's easier to go through parameters)

2. sound (perhaps one sounded better than the other, like "warmth" etc.)

3. features (VST A might not have several features on VST B. This might be one of the most important reason)

4. CPU load (VST A takes more and VST B takes less to do the same job)

I think this is also a big reason why I'm a bit lost in this area. I am still developing a "mixing" work flow. Still learning what works for me and what doesn't. So now it's good to know I should take into consideration how using "certain plug-ins will affect me and I grow. All in all excited for the journey.

Back