808's making clicking sounds. Driving me insane(Audio example)

Sorry for the long reply. @Wallengard, yes i've tried listening outside the DAW, and it sounds the same. I'll provide some examples for you from two different packs. If you don't hear what i hear then it might be my audio interface, or something. My Sennheiser HD 280 headphones are hooked up to it by the way. If that makes any difference.

When i decreased my buffer size/length all it did was make the quality of my sound, sound grating. So, no benefit.

Attachments

• LEX Trunk Shaker(2).mp3
    68.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 808 Kick (10).mp3
    58.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Well, loading that sample mp3 into a DAW & looking at the waveform looks pretty clear to me - the peaks have been clipped off. Don't know at which point this has happened.

X5GZvXd.png

Last edited:
Just like krushing said and proved, the original sample you sent in the first post is clipped, just like above. And again, I can't tell when that clipping has happened..

Were either of the other 2 samples you sent involved in your little loop? If they are, then you are the one creating the clipping, because those samples were fine on my system, and looked clean.

Wow..... that's great news then. This concurrent problem must particularly stem from either my DAW or my audio interface. This seems like a rare occurence. And no, the 808 drums were extracted directly from the documents themselves. Now the next step is to find out what the problem actually is.

Last edited:
Perhaps there is something that you are missing.. I'm confident it's happening in your daw, because only the first clip you sent was clipped, and the other samples were perfectly clean.

So, at some stage in your daw you are clipping the signal.

Beware that also a plugin can clip the signal, even if you lower the mixer fader so it doesn't seem like it's clipping, it can be distorting somewhere further up in the chain.

It doesn't have anything to do with your interface, and I doubt there's anything wrong with your daw. I believe this is a user error. Either that or we are not hearing the same thing, and maybe you have busted your headphones or something like that.

Last edited:
I was going to tell you the answer to this, but then I read this and decided that it'd be a waste of time typing out a paragraph to an ungrateful *******.

Are the samples cut at all? If they aren't cut properly it'll produce clicks. Same goes for any sample. The break point needs to be at 0 degrees or it can click.

Perhaps there is something that you are missing.. I'm confident it's happening in your daw, because only the first clip you sent was clipped, and the other samples were perfectly clean.

So, at some stage in your daw you are clipping the signal.

Beware that also a plugin can clip the signal, even if you lower the mixer fader so it doesn't seem like it's clipping, it can be distorting somewhere further up in the chain.

It doesn't have anything to do with your interface, and I doubt there's anything wrong with your daw. I believe this is a user error. Either that or we are not hearing the same thing, and maybe you have busted your headphones or something like that.

So it's either my DAW, Headphones or Interface. Some more or less likely than others. Plus no theres no clipping in the daw, just pure audio errors on low end sounds, and even without plugins. I'll try headphones first. I'll update soon.

Last edited:
It's not your headphones or the interface - these wouldn't have any impact in what the waveform shows. What did you mean by "the 808 drums were extracted directly from the documents themselves"? Post one of the original samples here, maybe?

So it must be my daw then. I'll just reinstall, or get another one. Weird. It'll just have to be a brief process of deduction. If not DAW then i'll recheck the buffer slider. If not that, then i have no idea what to do anymore.
Also, if you scroll up to the top of the page you'll find those two straight from pack sounds.

Last edited:
If the only thing you're hearing is the clipping, then there's nothing wrong with anything except not having things set up properly in your daw.

If you're hearing this clipping wherever you play it, and if you are hearing it in every track or every sound you ever play anywhere, then yeah I would agree there has to be something terribly wrong.

But your daw doesn't magically create clipping.

Last edited:
If the only thing you're hearing is the clipping, then there's nothing wrong with anything except not having things set up properly in your daw.

If you're hearing this clipping wherever you play it, and if you are hearing it in every track or every sound you ever play anywhere, then yeah I would agree there has to be something terribly wrong.

But your daw doesn't magically create clipping.

As i previously stated, my volume levels don't indicate any clipping instruments and my sample rate 48000hz proportionally matches my audio interfaces capacity. I'm going to calibrate my headphones with my friend's headphones. If that doesn't work, then reinstall a new daw of the same, or completely different version. If that doesn't work then idk. Also, i stated that only bass heavy sounds start buzzing and clicking. I'll update.

@op: your meters will not tell you if the sample is clipped

only by inspecting the wave form can you see that that is the case

in your case it would seem that the clipping is present in the original source material

sharing a single sample from the original source pack will help us eliminate or confirm the pack as the problem

@digdeep: changing from mono to poly will have no impact on whether the original samples are clipped or not

Last edited:
...fine, but super loud to begin with. Easy to get that master to clip unless you seriously pull down the levels...

I agree with that entirely, so I'm still under the impression that this is a user error.. But if he hears this everywhere (which the responses have kind of lead me to believe), in commercial tracks and sample packs alike, inside and outside the daw I'm open for the possibility of him not hearing the actual clipping, but something else that buzzes and clicks.

PS happy vappu!

This is what I tried to say in my first post of this thread. I came back earlier and I was going to write that, but I said to myself that he sounds sure and I didn't want to debate about it and decided not to post. For a 808 and kick to be that loud in the first clip...no matter if its under 0.00 db its still no room for anything else and also as Krushing pointed out the waveform shows that the top is clipped. Once its printed clipped its clipped the reading on the meter wont bring it back to being unclipped. I still say bad source. Sample could have been cut from a mp3 or processed by someone who thought they knew what they were doing and somehow made it to the OP.

Op is there anyway you could take a CLOSE UP (as close as you can) picture of the entire waveform? The middles not as important as the outside edges. Like i said earlier, if the edits on the sample are in the wrong spot it will produce a click. If you have an entire sample library edited by someone who didn't know what they were doing that would explain why they're all clicking.

Its a lot easier to cut in the wrong spot than it is to cut in the right spot, in order to actually get the right spot you have to consciously be aiming for the right spot cuz there are only 2 places you can cut so it won't click.

Last edited:
Back