808's making clicking sounds. Driving me insane(Audio example)

GRiiM

Is anyone hearing what i'm hearing? Also i cut the highs and everything and the results are status quo. PLEASE help i'm in a crisis here. Anyone that can help me you don't know how much you've made a difference in my life. I'm borderline giving up.

P.S. This applies to all 808s in my packs. So if you guys don't hear it, then it's either my headphones or my interface.

- Thanks.

Attachments

• Untitled.mp3
    320.5 KB · Views: 255
I can also hear it. I believe that it's a problem with your pack, whoever made it has either intentionally done it, or is unaware of it. To me, it sounds like clipping but it also sounds like it has a lot of saturation/distortion on it in general which may contribute to that crack/click sound (assuming we are hearing the same thing). It could also have been sampled from vinyl or made that way artificially.
I wouldn't waste my time trying to remedy it, find higher quality/cleaner sample pack and process to your own liking instead.

It could very well also be, since you said you experience this with all your sample packs, that you are actually the one producing this through clipping yourself. In that case then you just lower the volume of the source.

Last edited:
No you don't understand. EVERYTHING that has bass on my packs no matter how high quality they are, with absolutely NO effects sounds like that. Eqing it out doesn't work because i'd be cutting the low frequency, which is futile because it's pitch dynamic. It can't be my audio interface either because you can hear it too. It could be i have a faulty DAW. Idk. Idfk anymore.

Last edited:
Over 100+ views yet no advice.... love this site.

I was going to tell you the answer to this, but then I read this and decided that it'd be a waste of time typing out a paragraph to an ungrateful *******.

No you don't understand. EVERYTHING that has bass on my packs no matter how high quality they are, with absolutely NO effects sounds like that. Eqing it out doesn't work because i'd be cutting the low frequency, which is futile because it's pitch dynamic. It can't be my audio interface either because you can hear it too. It could be i have a faulty DAW. Idk. Idfk anymore.

What DAW are you using? Are you entirely sure that the entire signal path in your daw is completely cleared of any effects/plugins? What about if you lower the volume of the sample, does it change anything?

Could you at least find it in your heart to at least answer the questions? You were the one who came here looking for help, no point in me trying to help you if you don't want the help.

Thought i answered most of those questions already but sure.

- FL Studio
- No effects as i said previously
- If i lower the master volume to about 50% i can borderline faintly still hear it.

Not even that default fruity limiter on the master? So if you lower the volume of the sample in FL studio, and crank up the volume on your audio interface until it's as loud as it was on you default settings, is the problem getting better at all?

Lower the volume in the sampler, from the source, not the master.

Still hear it if i lower the master, or the volume on the sample. And my interface is always cranked 100% And i start out with a completely blank template. No limiter.

Alright, so we've ruled out a few suspects now.

Ok, how about if you play the sample through windows media player or whatever you use to play audio files outside of the daw with. Is the problem still there?

What are your project settings? Sample rates, bit depth?

- 16bit stereo depth (i think)
- Sample rate 48000 hz
- Buffer length 4400smp
- Resampling 64 point sinc

I'll reply later.

I would say the most important thing right now is whether or not you get the same sound playing outside the daw. If so then there's something wrong with your playback all together, something with the audio interface, maybe the settings in your operating system..

.. Or every single pack you've got has that same issue, which sounds unlikely but I don't know what samples you've got.

But, is there a reason why you've got the buffer length set so extremely high? What happens if you turn that down to a more common value like 256 or 512?

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to agree with Wallengards first post. It sounds like bad source material and that its clipping. The kick you hear air and a harsh static sound of distortion on its peak more louder on the left than right. Just hearing the first kick by itself you can still hear all the flaws together with the 808 bass. Idk if you were just showing an example, but your pushing your levels too hard and not leaving any headroom for anything else. This is with VLC at 100% IMG_1081.JPG

I think changing the kick would help, but before anything else lower it a few decibels both kick and bass. If its still present then its how the sample was printed. Can you post another example with the 808 somewhere by itself...not at such a low tone though?

So this usually happens to me, and it's usually an mess-up with the 808 in either the beginning or end. Cut it out from the wav file or whatever it is. Also if you're to lazy to do that you can try cutting out the high frequencies in an EQ to remove the click lol.

It could be a number of things. The attack, release, compressed artifact, zero crossing. I'm just throwing things out there that I didn't mention earlier. I've had this problem in the past a few times, but I still can say I fixed my issue by switching the sample instead of tinkering and possibly making the sound worse trying to remedy the problem.

i'll try turning the buffer length to 252 - 512, but to address other things. There's no clipping at all, and i keep -6db headroom on most of my instruments. And i have fruity free filter on most of my tracks boosting desired frequencies, but even without the filter the bass still clicks and pops.

Basically it sounds like it's clipping, but it's not clipping. The levels indicate that there's nothing wrong. It might be my soundcard but idk. And sorry for the double post. The site won't let me edit my comments for some reason.

You still didn't answer my question about whether or not you hear the same thing when you play the sample outside the daw, and what result you got by decreasing the buffer size.

Also, upload the sample so I can play it at home on my own system so I can see if I have that same problem. Don't save it in your daw and export because if there's something funky going on with it, the problem will just be printed onto it.

Then, I guess I can upload an 808 or any other bass drum that I've made, that I know for SURE does not have any of these issues.

Last edited:
Back