808's making clicking sounds. Driving me insane(Audio example)

in my experience this clicking sound derives from too much harmonic excitation in the low frequencies (which often happens in 808s). the best thing to do is increase the attack time and use an appropriate kick on the beginning of the 808.

i believe the scientific reason behind all of this is that wave cycles in the lower frequencies are much longer than at higher frequencies (e.g. that is why piano strings are generally longer in the lower registers). when people program 808s they want to add harmonic excitation to the low and lower mid frequencies (thereby shortening the wave cycles). when the wave cycles become very short at lower frequencies they have a tendency to clash with each other and produce what we call artifacts (unwanted digital distortion). hope this helps anyone out there.

Is anyone hearing what i'm hearing? Also i cut the highs and everything and the results are status quo. PLEASE help i'm in a crisis here. Anyone that can help me you don't know how much you've made a difference in my life. I'm borderline giving up. P.S. This applies to all 808s in my packs. So if you guys don't hear it, then it's either my headphones or my interface.

Guys this is super easy to solve. I know it's an old thread but this didn't need to be dragged out like this.

Use Fades (Logic Pro Users).

Just fade out the first 5 or 10% of the tail or the beginning part (Whatever part is creating the clipping noise) and you're gold.

Simple stuff.

Works on every sound sample that may have clipping. It's how you're suppose to do it. Hope you didn't give up on making music. I know it can be really frustrating when you don't get the right info.

Back