808 mixing

DjFeelgood

[h=2]808 mixing[/h]
I've noticed if any other instrument comes in region of 100-200hz where 808 harmonics are we have a clashing problem and 808 just can't stand out in mix. I've also set my HPF for kick at 80-100hz (to bring that punch) so that it wont clash with that 808 sub frequencies. Also I boosted 808 at 50-60hz and at the same place I cut kick. The kick i boosted punch area around 120-140hz and there I cut my 808. Also I've sidechained kick to 808 so everytime kick hits 808 is ducking.

Tell me some of your ideas and some advice for mixing 808 with other things beside kick.

Thank you.

Sounds like you have a technical approach to it. Nothing wrong with that, but it should, IMO, be balanced with whatever lies on the other side of ' technical '.
Try mixing by ear. That's usually how I do it. I only start approaching a problem technically if there's a problem that occurs. Of course, there's many ways to solve an issue.
How many instruments come to that range? Do you really want em in that range? You can filter and cut whatever you don't want in.
Talking about drums, you probably have those set in the middle? Can you move the instruments left or right?

I agree with B-Side on this. you can be super technical, but it only works in the track if it works sonically.

Have you tried separating your other instruments to stereo and having your kick and 808 mono? You say that you're side chaining as well and it still persists so you might just have to cut some of those low frequencies out of your instrument. Separating your instruments with side chaining can go a long ways when it comes to 808's needing room. I'm used to using deep pianos and brass in my beats and rarely encounter that problem with clashing. I can't post links on this forum yet because I'm new, but check out my beats on youtube if you get the chance. I'm fairly new to producing as well... MassOccurProductions on youtube.

Back