44.1Hz VS 96Hz?????

Maybe some of the posts are a bit out of line but this is absolutely hysterical.

Damn! I'm supposed to be mixing a song today but I can't get away from this thread. I'm on page 7 and HS has also posted a link to an even funnier thread. I havent laughed so much in a long time.

Thanks for bumping this and ruining my work schedule. :o

Sticky!!!

EP

hackenslash said:
Compliments of Sve*Bur

122505itsnot96khzidiotikg3.jpg

damn i love this pic :victory:

I may have skipped a few posts but I didn't see anyone point out the difference between 44.1Khz and 96Khz. Is there any?

44.1 Khz can only deal with frequencies up to 22Khz. 96Khz can deal with the frequencies above that. But who can hear anything above 22Khz anyway?

I agree there will be a difference for those few that can hear above 22Khz but it can't be much.

Now we have 192Khz too. Well I suppose that in the future when dolphins take over the earth that they might want to listen to some old fashioned human music. I think it's 80 or so Khz for dolphins. I guess that is why we are getting 192Khz stuff; so we can cater for the whole animal kingdom.

Interesting post. The OP learned a lot by being stupid...very clever.

EP

Last edited by a moderator:
Emmapeel9 said:
44.1 Khz can only deal with frequencies up to 22Khz. 96Khz can deal with the frequencies above that. But who can hear anything above 22Khz anyway?

Dogs can ..
... Maybe monkeys to :monkey:

Aw, Where's the JP22 thread? HS's link doesn't work. (P7)

EP

Yeh! Got it.

Wierd. It feels like this is required reading for producers even though it might get really silly.

OK. He's started with a very complicated way of recording guitars; I guess this is the one.

Back to work later then :(

EP

Emmapeel9 said:
I may have skipped a few posts but I didn't see anyone point out the difference between 44.1Khz and 96Khz. Is there any?

i did. there is a difference.

Emmapeel9 said:

the qualitative difference between sample-rates has absolutely nothing to do with simple playback. it's not about what YOU hear, it's about what your EQs, comps and saturators "hear" when processing the signal. in short, the higher the nyquist frequency, the less aliasing during nonlinear processing (saturation, comps, etc).

just switch a reason session from 44.1 to 96 during playback. the difference is more than clear. most will tell the difference is EXTREME.

Last edited:
^^ Moses, once again you've saved my fingers any work hehe..

Just setup my B&W's btw, not played em yet..

You still got your rotel amp(s)? Dunno which model to get..........

daze84 said:
^^ Moses, once again you've saved my fingers any work hehe..

You still got your rotel amp(s)? Dunno which model to get..........

Which B&W's did you get?

I finally got my 805's about 2 weeks ago (after a 3 month wait for them to arrive). If you have a chance audition them with a Classe Amp. I got a Classe CA2100, awesome combo!

After setting them up and calibrating them to the K-System, I sat my girlfriend down and played a track off of Raising Sand and about halfway through she says "This is creeping me out, it sounds like Robert Plant is right there!" (while pointing between the speakers). So glad I was able to get these speakers...

Thx moses

I think there is a german ME who thinks it is more of a marketing gimmick with 96Khz and 192Khz so there are opposing views on this. I also noticed in an earlier levels chart that you made that you didn't mention anything above 44.1Khz which also led me to suspect that anything above this might not be so important.

What you have said makes more sense to me though and so I'm going to go with that for now.

I'll read the posts I skipped too.

EP

daze84 said:

You still got your rotel amp(s)? Dunno which model to get

i use two [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RB 1091[/FONT] mono amps.

the RB 1030 might be perfect for compact speakers, but the bigger the better. in any way, even smaller models (rotel) will still knock any kind of "consumer" amp you've heard before. ;)

73* said:
After setting them up and calibrating them to the K-System, I sat my girlfriend down and played a track off of Raising Sand and about halfway through she says "This is creeping me out, it sounds like Robert Plant is right there!" (while pointing between the speakers). So glad I was able to get these speakers...

yeah, REAL stereo! not just left and right (i think you know what i mean.. ;) )

Emmapeel9 said:
I think there is a german ME who thinks it is more of a marketing gimmick with 96Khz and 192Khz so there are opposing views on this

this topic has 3 different "categories", you can talk about recording, processing or playback at different rates. the benefit of recording and playback at higher rates than needed ("oversampling") is really, really small (especially with modern ADACs) and has many drawbacks (more noise, more memory needed, jitter, etc).

but an important detail is why modern converters allow you to capture an excellent representation of the incoming signal at a sample-rate of 44.1kHz: ...they over-sample and down-sample the signal internally. :D so, it's all about the technical depth of the discussion.

audio processing on the opposite is clearly "high rate friendly". the difference between cubases cheesy build in EQs and a beautifull sounding EQ from UAD is oversampling. just render your project at 192kHz and downsample it with a great sample-rate-converter (check the freebie from voxengo) back to 44.1kHz and compare it to a direct 44.1kHz rendering. the difference is bigger than you might think. especially synths sound much better when you give them more "room".

never forget that you're working in the digital domain. frequencies above the bandwidth limit (nyquist frequency) don't "smooth out" like in an analog system. they are fully mirrored back (!) into the spectrum, this is "aliasing". aliases of the original signal are pushed back into the spectrum, but in a highly unharmonic way. that's the main reason why synths, comps and saturation sound much cleaner and "creamier" at higher rates, their algorithms create much less aliases at higher rates.

just an example, creating a 0dB tone at 44 kHz in a 44.1kHz sample-rate system (22.05kHz nyquist freq.) will in fact result in a 0dB 100Hz tone. we have a hyper-thin peak beeing transformed into a big bass tone! now imagine what happens when adding series of even and odd harmonics (multiples of the incoming signal) to a full mix through slight saturation... ...there will be a lot unharmonic trash in the resulting signal. trash we can minimize through oversampled processing.

just have a sample-rate search for more ;)

The JP22 thread is certainly very entertaining. Not too ugly till the end either. HS has the link on page 7 of this if anyone wants to look. Now I understand where he got his pic from.

Okay, now back to more serious stuff; sample rates. (Thx for the help)

EP

Lol...damn I haven't been on for a while... Y'all are truly going in on your boy! Sorry broo! U should just delete yourself

Back