3 questions 1) about recording 2) saturation 3) For WAV

MusicManiac

hello again ,
its been a while since i last posted a question about recording-mixing
So my questions are ;

1) The recording question ;
I can't really decide whether use my daw or my soundcard input in order to control the volume when i record vocals . For example , should i have my daw at 100 % recording and adjust my soundcard to the needs of my vocals or ? Does it matter which daw am i using ? What do you do ?

2) I cant really get the saturation , there a lot of plugins which i think they give a different "feeling" to the track even if i use the exact amount of the different plugins. So i would like if someone knows to explain me the main idea .

3) Which .WAV is the one that most computers , stereo's etc can playback ?

oh by the way a silly question how do you put signatures under your posts? :P
Thanks in advance !

( M-audio bx5 , akg percussion 220 , audiogram 3 yamaha )

hello again ,
its been a while since i last posted a question about recording-mixing
So my questions are ;

1) The recording question ;
I can't really decide whether use my daw or my soundcard input in order to control the volume when i record vocals . For example , should i have my daw at 100 % recording and adjust my soundcard to the needs of my vocals or ? Does it matter which daw am i using ? What do you do ?

2) I cant really get the saturation , there a lot of plugins which i think they give a different "feeling" to the track even if i use the exact amount of the different plugins. So i would like if someone knows to explain me the main idea .

3) Which .WAV is the one that most computers , stereo's etc can playback ?

oh by the way a silly question how do you put signatures under your posts? :P
Thanks in advance !

( M-audio bx5 , akg percussion 220 , audiogram 3 yamaha )

1. When recording: Track volume at default, play with the sound card knob till the sound peaks maximum -3db. The rule is to not peak the signal meaning never bypass 0db but -3db was just for a safe point.
2. Saturation gives a more "warm" feeling to the track mimicking analog gear. You don't always have to use it. But usually yes.
3. 44.100Khz/24bit can work

At your settings page.

saturation is a form of distortion but intensity limited: i.e. it distorts without actually exceeding 0dBfs; most saturation plugins limit their output to below 0dBfs to ensure that there is no clipping of the signal

signatures are edited in your setting s page scroll down until you see edit signature on the left hand side

see this on gain structuring

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...how-gain-stage-your-mic-pre-interface-302602/ from the sticky on techniques

1. your soundcard controls the level going into the computer, so this is what you adjust. The faders in your DAW wont have any bearing on your recorded levels (with the exception of the input faders). You could literally turn them all down to 0 or up to 10 and it wouldn't matter.

2. The main idea of saturation plugins is that they are modeled on their respective hardware counterparts. Hardware, because of things like electricity , tubes, and other parts, adds a sort of natural "hum" to sounds recorded through it. Each piece of hardware has its own personal sound or "hum" it adds to a recorded sound. So for example, SSL plugins are modeled after the hardware version of the SSL 4000 E or G Series Console. So when using such plugins, you get the sound characteristics of the hardware in the plugin. This is neither a good nor bad thing. Its just a matter of preference, and is not needed to make a good mix!

3. Not really sure of what you are asking in this question...

saturation is not hum, it is soft-compressed distortion/overdrive, normally flowing from the inability of the medium to track the changes in amplitude accurately

- tape saturates rather than distorts as the medium can only have the magnetic flux altered so much,
- valves saturate rather than distort as their slew rate is usually very slow (especially compared to transistors),
- fets can mimic the slew rate of valves, which is why they are used in preference to transistors in designing solid-state overdrive and distortion devices

Back