what do you think about this setup for video and photo production

fataltone

Holy Lamb Media & Ent.
budget $10,000 to $15,000

1.adobe premiere pro price $700.00
2.Adobe Photoshop CS5 12 $700.00
3.Twixtor $600
4.Canon t2i already own
5.PC i7,two internal 2 terabye h-drives,(no sure yet on graphic card but something pro level),LCD 32" screen...custom built $1,500.00
6.Adobe After Effects CS5.5 $1000.00
7. Light Meter $200 (any suggestions welcomed)
8.100-400mm "L" series image stabilized lens $1,500.00
9.Canon 580EX II Speedlite Flash $450.00
10.Handheld Stabilizer $150.00 at the most
11.Tripod (2)=$200.00 for both
12.Dolly Setup $400.00(any suggestion welcomed
13.Green Screen $150.00
14.Backdrops $500 worth
15.Three Point Lighting System $2,500 at the most
16.Education here http://www.lynda.com/home/otl.aspx $400.00
looking for camera to complement with the t2i (any suggestions) probably use two camera while shooting "thinking the Canon EOS 5D Mark II" around $2,500.00

not sure what to get to keep the canon t2i in focus I know there a product to help with that mentioned here

not sure what lenses to add to the list

not what are some must have plug-ins for premiere suggestions

trying to make pro commercials for my company,promo videos,and music videos,short films
and logos,retouch photos,holograms stuff and all that jazz
this list is about $13,000.00

also looking for a forum such as this that just for video production...high quality forum like this one...but more tutorials,and ppl sharing tips instead of just check out my video threads
thanks in advance

---------- Post added 08-26-2011 at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-24-2011 at 11:24 PM ----------

no one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
also looking for a forum such as this that just for video production...high quality forum like this one...but more tutorials,and ppl sharing tips instead of just check out my video threads
cinema5d.com, dvxuser.com, hurlbutvisuals.com/blog, prolost.com, cinematography.com. in that order.

Use the trials for after effects and twixtor especially. make sure you know what you're buying. twixtor is no miracle program... it has a lot of issues.

Don't buy a light meter. Your digital camera is a far more accurate light meter.

Forget the speedlight. Ugly lighting. Natural light is your friend.

100-400 isn't that great for video at all. It's much too slow and too heavy. Get canon primes like a 35mm, 50mm and 85mm. They're great quality and fast for photo/video. Want even cheaper? Look into amazing vintage lenses like the russian helios 44. The price will blow your mind.

Don't be cheap with your tripod. You will ruin so many shots with jerky movements if you don't. I can't stress this enough. Manfrotto 503 should be the cheapest thing you mount your camera on. Proper fluid heads like Cartoni will be very expensive but worth it. Find used if you can.

Indie dolly systems are lame. make it yourself. great DIY projects on the forums listed.

Green screen doesn't need to be fancy. buy a green sheet and light it evenly. the best green screen key has much to do with setup and little to do with the actual screen.

Don't worry about backdrops. Black cloth and white cloth is all you need to start out.

Buy a fresnel 650 watt tungsten and some fluorescent kino flo banks. The fluorescent banks will be your soft and non-sweaty key light. The fresnel is your hard sunlight-esque backlight. Kinos are expensive so you might consider buying cheaper light banks and outfit them with kino bulbs. The kino bulbs are the key to great fluorescent light.

Buy light modifiers. Buy black flags and color correcting gels. Buy silk diffusion. A constant struggle with video is figuring out how to soften your light while keeping it focused and under control.

Buy an electronic viewfinder to monitor your video for color, composition and focus. Don't be fooled by those cheap on camera monitors that cool lcd and marshall sells. They are worse quality than your cameras LCD. Check out Small HD. I also use a 24 inch computer monitor whenever i can to check my footage. If you can't afford an EVF, buy one of those loupes that straps to the camera.

Buy a follow focus. Very important. Shoot35 is the best buy right now.

The Glidecam HD 2000 is the best stabilizer. Remember, when it comes to handheld stabilization systems, weight, size and mass is always better. Makes it easier to balance and movement is smoother.

Use photoshop cs5 to color correct your footage. It does a much better job than premiere.

Don't buy lynda. It's a waste. youtube is free and google is your friend. Google everything and make notes of what inspires you. Copy everything. Don't be afraid to imitate your inspirations. Learn the commercial standard for photography and filmmaking first, THEN develop your own style.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
While I can't give you much feedback for hardware and equipment, I can tell you that adobe premiere pro, photoshop cs5 and after effects are great programs for what you're trying to do.
Photoshop is obviously one of the greatest photo editors. Adobe premiere pro is great for pro looking video editing, and after effects is great for special fx to add to videos and for making title sequences.
Lynda is great for learning starting at the very beginning, so I'd recommend it but I'd recommend if you're going to pay for it to only start out with the regular monthly one
As for if all that is worth the money, I'd say if you actually have the money to put aside to do this and don't expect a huge cashflow coming back in from all of this for quite a while, then go for it. Don't expect to make that money back from the videos you produce right away, media jobs are difficult to come by especially when you're first starting out and a beginner.
Of course if you look kinda like this
Patchy-the-pirate-1.jpg

you don't have to worry about the money part for it...but that would be because you're on TV and have a lot of money, and not that I was trying to imply anything to do with piracy. Because that would be wrong. And against the rules.
After effects is going to be the hardest to learn but it's worth it for the insane effects you can create with it. Also I recommend After Effects Basic Training and VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals from videocopilot, which has free tutorials for after effects

Oh I not learning to make money off of video production I want to do webisodes for my website documenting every aspect of setting up my business from EIN from the IRS to finding artists and producers for my label..
and also to make music videos for my artists...
seeking angel(s) investors to pay for equipment but would like to show I have some knowledge to use the equipment..
this is the company website will be up soon...contact me if you would like to donation your services to a faith based company or just want to share your testimony
HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT
Video,Graphic,Photography,Recording Studio-Biblical Based Literature and Music

Back