What is the best editor?

The industry standard is Avid.

I only have experience with Final Cut and Adobe Premiere. I really don't know what else is out there.

Damn from how people talk about it I woulda thought Final Cut was the industry standard...learn somethin new everyday I suppose

I'm sure if you asked on a video forum you'd get a religious flame war. It's like a DAW - everybody likes their own brand. Why would someone else's favorite matter? If you're going to be on MTV then you should get a pro involved and let them do a first class job while you focus on what *you're* good at. If it's you tube, then you want one that offers web friendly formats that is easy enough for you to get the task done. The video world is really expensive and time consuming compared to the audio world so you want to be task oriented. None of that software is cheap and all will get the job done. Just be prepared to learn the interface and the tools and you'll be fine.

AVID even AVID Liquid is a great one to use from music videos to full length hollywood videos. If you run Avid you should never have to change. Great program I reccomend to take some classes or get some great tutorials.

What type of media are you working with? Film? HD SD etc.?

After Effects
Sony Vegas
Premiere
and
Final Cut
are also great but i would reccomend going all out and using Avid

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, Thanks. I have my G4 with final cut on it, but when I was using the PC, I used a old sony handycam which is not digital at all. I had to run
RCA cables into my PC by the way of a video capture card, now I am using a cannon zr500, and a sony dsc handycam, both have the firewire interface. Those are my cams right now, but Im bout to get a Sony Hi def jumpoff. Vega worked fine to me, I just wanted to see what other people were using. Yeah I work at this computer store called Microcenter so, I also talk to the Mac people there, But PROPS to all who replied.

Last edited:
I use Vegas 8 now and it does everything I need, I treid adobe premiere once and it was hard learning it

trezza said:
I'm sure if you asked on a video forum you'd get a religious flame war. It's like a DAW - everybody likes their own brand. Why would someone else's favorite matter? If you're going to be on MTV then you should get a pro involved and let them do a first class job while you focus on what *you're* good at. If it's you tube, then you want one that offers web friendly formats that is easy enough for you to get the task done. The video world is really expensive and time consuming compared to the audio world so you want to be task oriented. None of that software is cheap and all will get the job done. Just be prepared to learn the interface and the tools and you'll be fine.

Very well Said.

i dont know if final cut pro is the best editor, but its pretty powerful and can do alot of cool effects etc if you know how to use it

Back