Video Shoot- Music sync from CD issue- Please Help if you can.

EmilySkyy

Hi,

I have shot several low budget music videos on location and I've run into a strange problem today. I export the audio file as a Mp3 and then burn it to a CD. I use a small boom box, close to the performer to sing with while shooting the video. I did recently have to replace the small boom box. Different brand this time. Anyway, NONE of the audio will sync up with the video when I edit. I can line it up to start with, but then the CD audio gets out of sync with the imported wav file in Premier Pro. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? Any help would be appreciated.

did you have this problem before?

here's a big pro-tip: never burn mp3 audio to shoot to when you are producing video; use the wav to burn the cd - keep the same format for both the shoot and the editing suite then you can eliminate variables such as differences in audio format (not that mp3 should change the timing at all)

next try to use something other than a boombox to playback on set - a simple field cd player and speaker unit - boomboxes are cool for their portability factor but unless you use the same piece of gear all the time you will find issues like this crop up

maybe you need to get your old boombox fixed or your new boombox checked that it actually is running as per factory specification (if under warranty this should be a simple return to place of purchase for inspection by qualified service personnel)

as for fixing your current problem you are going to have to:

1) do fine edits and drop frames here and there to catch the audio up, if the video is leading the wav

or

2) copy frames and drop them in so that video slows down to match the wav

Last edited:
Thanks! After experimenting around a bit, I found that the issue was the Boombox. The last shoot I did I think I just got lucky with the boombox that I used and it must have been pretty close in sync. I went out yesterday and purchased the same model I used before and although it too got out of sync, it wasn't until 3/4 through the song before I could start to hear it. By the end of the song it was out by several frames.

I then put the mp3 file on my phone and played back the .wav file from my computer at the same time and they synced perfectly completely through the whole song. Then, I used a Bluetooth speaker paired with my phone and played back the .wav file from my desktop and again, they synced perfectly.

I ordered a Boombox yesterday that has a USB port to playback a mp3 directly from the flash drive. It also has Bluetooth, so I would think that should solve my sync issues. As far as the video I shot.... it was only about 3.5 hours of work and close to my home so I'm going to just reshoot it next week with the new boombox. I will make sure it syncs up with the .wav file before I do. Thank you for the help!

Back