Video editing program

that was due to a misreading of something earlier in the thread

however, have all of the following issues been fixed with the patch you mention

here are somethings removed from finalcut pro...it should be called imovie pro...

Cannot open previous Final Cut Pro projects. period. We have 10 years worth of projects that cannot be opened.

Cannot collaborate with other editors. You can't simply hand off a project file to another editor who has the same media like you could with previous versions of FCP. All of your project organization is now globally contained in the application rather than in your project file. You would literally have to give that other editor your computer to open your project with all of your organization.

There is no way to customize the organization of the project media. "Events" are nice for home movies, home photos and such, but organzation is clunky at best for a professional video editing environment, whether that's working in your home or in a facility.

Media keeps wanting to copy itself to the local drive. We have over 60TB of media in our facility, we could not possibly copy that much to a local computer.

No directory structure when media is offline. When media is offline you simply get a red screen with an exclamation point. There is no "Reconnect Media" function or any other function that will tell you where the media is supposed to be. With previous versions you were presented the original media path. Since this is based on iMovie, it expects that everything lives internally.

Multicam tool, which was one of the best in the industry, completely eliminated.

OMF and XML export and import completely eliminated. There is no way to send projects to Apple's own software from within Final Cut Pro.

Color Correction tool is mediocre at best. Apple Color, which was a $25,000 piece of software when Apple purchased it, seems to have been eliminated and replaced with dots and presets. I've used a lot of color correction tools as part of my work and what Apple has presented is one of the worst I've seen from a supposed professional tool.

Cannot assign audio tracks. The Trackless editing makes things faster initially but we send all our audio out for ProTools mixing. As such we need to assign audio to tracks. Narration to Track 1 and 2. Interviews to Tracks 3 - 6 and so on. So our audio engineers knows exactly what's on which track.

No true video output. According to an AJA Video Systems PDF on using their Kona cards with FCPX what you see on your external display is a "preview" version of your video. Not a true video signal that you can use for color correction or confidence viewing in front of a client. Simply cannnot have a professional video editing application without true video output.

No support for Capture from Tape (outside of Firewire) or Edit to Tape.

Adobe Premiere seems to be the most universal and it works with almost all formats, and its constatly being updated.

I'd definitely co-sign Adobe Premiere. We are novices in video editing, but the software is so intuitive that with some effort and a lot of tutorials, a good product can be achieved. I can't comment on competitors like Final Cut etc. but I think Premiere is pretty much the go to programme.

Back