Video editing program

Im just gonna say my 2 cents...

stay away from any program that apple has its hands on...(i.e final cut pro AND logic)

logic is now an "apple product" and apple doesn't care about the pro community anymore. After they bought logic , they butchered the program, removing midi clock, AND deading VST support for Audio Units. Many who invested thousands lost out.

and it didn't end there, I had bought sdxc 64 sandisk card, and to my horror realized that sdxc is NOT supported in anything besides 10.7

so I updated to 10.7 os x, and then find out that logic 7, which I still use because its an EMAGIC product BEFORE apple bought them out, didn't NOT open on lion.

An uproar was caused around the apple community over this, surprising, many people still use logic 7. So in the next 10.7.1 update, logic opened.But thank god enough people made noise, because they were tired of it. ever since os x was introduced its been a pain staking update process using apple video and or audio editing programs.

Now i still use final cut pro 7, and would never use final cut pro x because many pro features were stripped from it, making FCP 7 superior, but don't invest your time into that one day it won't work...., I am jumping ship to adobe, a more professional company.

I would have to say that Final Cut Pro Studio is the best. Even though I'm interested in Final Cut Pro X.

here are somethings removed from finalcut pro...it should be called imovie pro...

Cannot open previous Final Cut Pro projects. period. We have 10 years worth of projects that cannot be opened.

Cannot collaborate with other editors. You can't simply hand off a project file to another editor who has the same media like you could with previous versions of FCP. All of your project organization is now globally contained in the application rather than in your project file. You would literally have to give that other editor your computer to open your project with all of your organization.

There is no way to customize the organization of the project media. "Events" are nice for home movies, home photos and such, but organzation is clunky at best for a professional video editing environment, whether that's working in your home or in a facility.

Media keeps wanting to copy itself to the local drive. We have over 60TB of media in our facility, we could not possibly copy that much to a local computer.

No directory structure when media is offline. When media is offline you simply get a red screen with an exclamation point. There is no "Reconnect Media" function or any other function that will tell you where the media is supposed to be. With previous versions you were presented the original media path. Since this is based on iMovie, it expects that everything lives internally.

Multicam tool, which was one of the best in the industry, completely eliminated.

OMF and XML export and import completely eliminated. There is no way to send projects to Apple's own software from within Final Cut Pro.

Color Correction tool is mediocre at best. Apple Color, which was a $25,000 piece of software when Apple purchased it, seems to have been eliminated and replaced with dots and presets. I've used a lot of color correction tools as part of my work and what Apple has presented is one of the worst I've seen from a supposed professional tool.

Cannot assign audio tracks. The Trackless editing makes things faster initially but we send all our audio out for ProTools mixing. As such we need to assign audio to tracks. Narration to Track 1 and 2. Interviews to Tracks 3 - 6 and so on. So our audio engineers knows exactly what's on which track.

No true video output. According to an AJA Video Systems PDF on using their Kona cards with FCPX what you see on your external display is a "preview" version of your video. Not a true video signal that you can use for color correction or confidence viewing in front of a client. Simply cannnot have a professional video editing application without true video output.

No support for Capture from Tape (outside of Firewire) or Edit to Tape.

FCP for editing purposes, AE for other post work such as VFX etc, you can use AE to colour grade aswell tbh

it should be called imovie pro...

Did this happen pre- or post- Jobs' death?

It certainly reads like the litany of disasters that were imposed on Logic when it became an apple product...

I never understand why some companies impose a self-destruct sequence of improvements on a product - I know that this was one of the top 4 at one stage, but it seems in an effort to maintain their i-advantage they are yet again shooting themselves in the foot - on the other side of this discussion, I can understand moving from an elite, niche market product to a mass-market product: sell more copies with a smaller profit margin (not that Apple has small profit margins) - yet why kill the elite niche market by watering the product down to the level required for the larger market; it would be better to develop two products independently, maintaining both the niche market and the mass-market......

Cyberlink PowerDirector. Dunno, downloaded, needed an video editing software, adapted to it and it's great. Easy to use, buch of feautures. But maybe it's just me. And also, it was rated 2012 best video editing software. However, my trial expired so now i use Magix Video editor. Made this one with it in less than 10 minutes. Full of feautures also, but not that user friendly than Cyberlink Powerdirector (Or I just got used to it)

*Sorry, can't post link, not enough posts. Damn policy*

I use adobe premiere. I like it better than final cut or any other sofware cuz it paralles with adobe aftereffects. makes it really easy to edit.

I use Movie studio. It is the beginner's watered down version of the standard specialized just plain 'vegas' and newly now has the 'pro' tag on it. The exceeding poster has no idea what he's talking about.

What mixing is for music, coloring is for videos. This includes effects like focusing on certain aspects of the plate, Depth of Field, (obviously!) changing the color palette to give the picture a different look and mood, etc...

Yes, most video editing software has some basic coloring options, but mostly it doesn't have some specific function or the implementation is not very ergonomic.

DaVinci's Resolve solution based around their hardware is the industry standard and we use it over here as well. Mind you, entering this world costs you (including the right display and computer hardware) easily north of $30,000.

But with the advent of super-fast computers and GPU-based computing this changed.
With a decent computer and a NVIDIA GPU you have enough computing power to run the required calculations on your home computer.
But what about the software?

Well, BlackMagic recently bought DaVinci and they distribute their software now as well.
The fantastic thing about is, that you don't have to buy the controllers and other hardware anymore and the software alone is $999 now (!!!)

But the good news don't end here. The fully functional and only slightly limited lite version of DaVinci's Resolve..................is FREE now (!!!).

Check it out, download & install and invest some time in learning it, because with some little work and creativity, this little piece of sophisticated software can change your "ok-looking" videos into professionally looking masterpieces. And as mentioned above, the only slightly limited lite version of Resolve is completely FREE now (!!!).

Have fun and you can thank me later. :)

And here a quick demo:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a video editor and you put a harming on your video card and GPU then you need to get GPU-Z software which could be very useful for video editing especially. In fact, there are many video maker using it these days.

Last edited:
Back