Using a GoPro for music video's

OllieHay

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone else has had any success with using a GoPro to film a music video, as opposed to an SLR or anything above. True you are not going to achieve the same look or professional finish, but I think there is a lot to be said for the real and authentic perspective that the GoPro achieves. I recently documented a trip to Sweden that me and my crew took, and a lot of the club footage is going to be used for a video to a heavy house track aimed at club play in particular. The low-light performance is sometimes sketchy but I'm a fan of the authentic and natural look that they shoot. It would be particularly effective for anyone wanting to show a bit of their personality, as opposed to a clearly staged and manufactured persona usually seen in music videos. We've filmed more professional looking vids but these GoPro insights are something we are looking to maintain in the future. I'd be interested to see anything others have filmed, here is what we have so far.

Theres the music one that went viral - the first person shooter, i can't link people in at the moment but search for How to Use A Go Pro - that's a pretty savage film on a go pro :)

We used a go pro recently during filming of a live music video.
The problem we encountered was that it was used as a static cam. Just sitting there.
I think we didn't utilize it properly, but with the right angles and movements you could make a good video with them.

We used a go pro recently during filming of a live music video.
The problem we encountered was that it was used as a static cam. Just sitting there.
I think we didn't utilize it properly, but with the right angles and movements you could make a good video with them.

Yeah, utilized properly can do wonders. I've always wanted to use it in some form of production.

As someone mentioned already, with enough light, the footage on the gopro's are fantastic for a camera of it's size. The 2K option is a bit of a gimmick though as the frame rate is too low to prevent that lagging effect.

i was wondering this too, I wanted a go pro for riding bike and It came to me that maybe i can use to shoot footage for videos too

after reading this thread I googled "go pro rumors" to see if the next version will be releasing soon and if i should hold back and i came across this

Do you watch TV? Well then you're seeing GoPro3+ footage all of the time. We used 13 on a Corvette commercial. 17 on Nissan, 6 on Toyota, 6 on Comcast. I used a 3+ for the wide establishing shot, We mix 3 & 3+'s all of the time without any considerations. Although now with the upgraded + firmware we try to use +'s in low light situations where we need to minus the exposure to prevent overexposure.

FlyBlimp

I just got a GoPro I think I'm gonna just film myself making beats with it. I dont think a music video filmed from a GoPro would look very professional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back