Recommend me a Professional Digital Camera

illapino

This is about still-picture taking. I'm looking for a professional digital camera that can auto-shoot. You know, press the button, run to your spot, and the camera takes a picture in 5 seconds. By professional, I don't mean consumer ones that everyone has including me (~$350), I mean ones used by serious photography hobbyists and average photo-shooters (~$999). Clean crisp shots like those found on Flickr. Thanks

Check the nikon D40, D80 and canon's rebel series the XT and XTi. I've used these 2, (i'm a canon man myself) and i'm leanin toward the D40. The D80 is nice, but for the diff in price, i'mma get the D40 and invest in lenses and flashes. That auto-shoot, is called a timer, and flckr is the myspace of the photo world. There's a photog site out there, kinda like a grown up version of flickr, and the pix are listed with the photo info, i'm talkin f-stop/aperture settings, lighting info, pretty much all the info that the camera records when the shot is taken. I'll have to dig the link up for you, when you see it, u'll see what i mean. It'd be like if evertime someone posted a beat, it came listed with equipment used, compressor settings, eq settings, all that stuff, thats what it's like. B back later with the link. But the canon and nikon DSLRs are the shizznit. Hope that helps.
LevLove

Last edited:
Alright, sounds like you're a real photography enthusiast, I respect that and have always appreciated the art as well. So you're telling me a timer is common place on professional digiCams? (DSLRs, is that what they're called?) ... I just thought that these high-end cameras take careful precisions involving focus when taking ANY picture, so I thought timing a shot of yourself so that you can run into without someone else photographing you would be an uneasy process ...

illapino said:
Alright, sounds like you're a real photography enthusiast, I respect that and have always appreciated the art as well. So you're telling me a timer is common place on professional digiCams? (DSLRs, is that what they're called?) ... I just thought that these high-end cameras take careful precisions involving focus when taking ANY picture, so I thought timing a shot of yourself so that you can run into without someone else photographing you would be an uneasy process ...
DSLR, digital single lens reflex, hit up wiki for more info. but as for the timer, yes, thats standard on most cams. it can be kinda tricky, cause you have to focus first, and depending on whats in the background or foreground, you may or may not get it right on the first try, it takes some trail and error, as does anything else, but it can be done, with a lil practice, you can do it with the quickness. but yea, i like the nikon D40 and canon XT joint. have not been in wolfe camera in a min so i could be getting the model names mixed up, but wolfe camera is the place to go, the staff is generally very knowledgeable about thier products (unlike guitar center, where they'll tell you anything) and they have good service plans and warrenties. still have not found the site i was talkin bout, but when i get the link, i'll come back and post it later.
LevLove

yeah, i wanna check that site out. seeing the picture and its spec-source would help me see which camera i want ... as an artist, i'm trying to do a photoshoot, make a better image of myself, but don't want to hire a photographer ... i confident about my own artistic abilities outside of music ... Lemme know, thanks.

And in terms of someone who's never used a professional digital camera, is there a learning curve to this? When I buy it, can I just point and shoot, given that I play with the focus? Or is there more to these machines when taking every single shot? Compare them to your consumer Olympus camera if you could, coz that's what I have .... and yeah I've never taken photography classes so consider me a newb to photography all together.

Last edited:
The Canon Rebel XSi is the newest Canon Rebel camera. It is super easy to use, and it has live view. The other two (XT and XTi) don't have a live view function. That means, for the XSi, the picture shows up live on the LCD screen. On the XT and XTi, it does not.

The Canon EOS 40D is one of the best cameras on the market. It is a DSLR like the the XSi, XT, and XTi. With tons of features. It is completely professional, as well as very easy to use.

With all 3 Canon DSLRs, there are fully automatic funtions. The 3 cameras come with a lens that has autofocus. The are also timer functions on all 3. Set the camera on a tripod, set the timer, and pose. The camera does all the work for you.

YES. the dpreview is a GREAT site to look at cameras. Whatever camera you get, learn it inside out and just practice..Keep taking pictures and learn about exposure and editing.

Good luck

Back