Playin music while shooting?

good question

it depends on what your intention is

but for the most part you would be shooting the video with the music playing if you are lip-synching to ensure that then you have the words in time with the recorded version

you might even capture the music playback so that you can later synchronise the vision to the soundtrack when editing

Last edited:
what kind of video? sometimes you can just use hidden (or not) headphones.
another time my actor was walkin in front of the camera and i just sticked a smartphone (loudspeker) on top of the lens. overcrank lip sync worked perfectly.

IME it's been easier to sync up the takes when you play the music on the louder side so that you get a good waveform when editing. But no so loud that its distorting. It's usually better to use a small speaker than just playing it off the phone. But you can definitely make it work with just the phone too. And some phones are really loud.

You would play the song while recording the video so your video is timed right with the song recording. You would then mute all sound coming from the video when editing. Then you would insert the audio track and sync the video to the song.

Good question.
Yes. Better way to make an audio record in advance and than just record a video pretending playing. For best quality both.

Do you guys actually say the words or just lip them? I say the words and it takes a bit of time to get comfortable with semi shouting for no apparent reason

say/sing them every time - it is not like you will be using the audio from the video shoot for the final cut of the video

Back