Music Video shot with a Canon XL1

I can tell it was shot with a quality camera. The end of the video looks like more care was taken in editing. Or maybe bacause dude on the last verse was at just about every shot so you had more of him. The blinking lights in the beginnig of the vid, changing circle colors i should say is enough to give a person a seizure. i wouldnt do that again with so many different colors.

Overall it was pretty decent.

Watch your lighting. In some of the shots the talent is to washed out (outside on the car), or they faces are completely in shadow (in the tunnel). Flashlights work well to get rid of shadows from faces. Also, the design of the video seems wonky. In the beginning, You have those colors flashing, then there is a limited color shot with the car, then it goes to black and white for the rest of the video. It seems disjointed to me.

That is a nice camera. Do you own it or were you renting?

Thanks for feedback Trrl. It was the first video we shot so any tips on how to make it better are always appreciated. A lot of that "wonky" was me being fascinated by things i could do with Final cut. lol.

Me and my friends chipped in for the camera so we actually own it. Now we're saving up for a 35mm adapter to add on to it.

Limit the use of final cut effects. For the most part, they will cheapen the look of your video. Try making your shot composition and editing great before you add effects (and only if you can find a creative way to use them). Can't wait to see the next one.

Last edited:
yea, it's easy to get carried away with what you can do with equipment/software these days. as suggested, focus on shot composition, lighting, and editing first, then add efx later. sorta like sequencing your beat, then adding compression/eq after you get a good recording. how do you like the XL-1? i've got the GL-2 and i love it.
LevLove

hey guys thanks for the advice, i have already started reading up on shot composition online, lol. Check out these other videos we've shot, although we havn't been able to put your advice to use, we felt we were a little more aware of what to do on these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI5HiRokF58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnDtDY8YTFY

the people you keep seeing in the video are basically the ones that help edit with the exception of my friend who gets stuck being the camera man, lol.

also, look into creating a vimeo.com account, better quality then this choppy youtube crap. they even do HD now.
LevLove

not callin ur stuff crap, just the quality of youtube.

I actually have a Vimeo account, but i feel like the search data makes it much harder for people to stumble on your video like youtube. I see your point in terms of quality though, i can see a huge difference, but the "High Quality" option now on youtube makes a difference.

we shot this video the other day, check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73hcbwsXR_Q

BTW: does anyone know how to embed the video directly on the forum?

finally some1 gives a negative review of the video, 1/630 so far, not bad. haha, guess every1 else must be seeing a different video or something. hahaha

that last one i thought was really good

if you dont mind, what program did you use?

Back