Lights for videos

What do you want?
A small spot then the litpanels micro (find out what the Lux value is for this one)

A more diffuse panel then studio panel.

in either case you will need more than one panel to do any serious work.

Hi to everyone,
I'd like to use Reaper (I'm a registered user) in a couple of projects (one simpler and the other really much more complex) and I hope someone can give me a hint or two :

1 - I'd like to drive some lights on stage through MIDI. I know there are some products or projects out there but I do not know where to begin from.

2 - Same as above but with added videos. If possible more than one (playing different video files) so that I can install at least two or more screens on different side of the stage and ... yes, synchronize them with the MIDI file. I know there are multiple outs video card but I do not have a starting point.

I understand that these are not exactly musical matters and I do apologize if I'm using this forum for this subject but I hope that someone may be interested to share his opinion.

Interesting, kingpoul.

I have to learn this stuff next year.

1 - I'd like to drive some lights on stage through MIDI. I know there are some products or projects out there but I do not know where to begin from.

2 - Same as above but with added videos. If possible more than one (playing different video files) so that I can install at least two or more screens on different side of the stage and ... yes, synchronize them with the MIDI file. I know there are multiple outs video card but I do not have a starting point.

1. My experience so far has been with a video/visual mixer which does allow you to program but I'm not so sure about MIDI, I haven't got that far with it.

2. You could definitely use a MIDI input to start three videos playing with separate outputs but thats music production talking, probably not how its done and sounds a bit cumbersome.

Lets try and get your answers.

In terms of lights themsevles, I've used the professional lights and I also used a Halogen work light just the same. Its not my expertise but I mainly used the halogen light for animation, it was very clean and full, which was what I was looking for in a small green screen rostrum stand setup.

Not gonna work well for a video man. Invest in a real kit like a lowel kit you can find on BH video. Also check out coollights. 3 lights is the very bare minimum you should be using bro. Hardlights (tungsten lights) are always better man cause you can choose to diffuse them or use em hard if you want to create different looks. Led lights just give a soft cast the whole time, not much flexibility with that

Thanks for speaking out, Matt, I wasn't sure if I should have said anything,. Personally I'd be looking a few redheads an then one large diffusion panel - quartz halogen is gonna beat these suckers every time, because you have a guaranteed color temperature coming off them whereas I find that LEDS will vary over time. If you don't understand color temperature, then go do some study before you buy any video gear, it will be worth the time and save you lots of wasted $$$$$ in the future.

I love LEDs. While I have some nice old school Lowell and Mole instruments, man I hardly ever tote em around anymore. I like LEDs because they stay cool, I can stay wireless, and, there really isn't a look I can't achieve with em.

Back