Intresting/Creative Music Video Ideas/Techniques or Stories

thami123

I'm a music video director and music videos are something I'm really passionate about.
However I'm not great at thinking of creative or interesting narratives and stories to go with artist's videos. Another thing I'm not so great at is discovering new and interesting music video techniques and effects, Nabil Elderkin is someone who I very much admire as a director and produces thought-provoking work however I'm always striving to think of something new and innovative but I cannot seem to think of anything. I'm very much uninspired at the moment like I've got writers block.

There are a few things that are going on in my life regarding relationships and my feelings towards past love interests and my friends all going off to university. I set out for music videos to be a form of expression for me but I have a ton of angry and tense feelings I just cannot articulate through video easily and making sense. I know this may sound very cheesy but music videos feel very real to me, like sometimes I can picture a whole music video just by listening to a song once.

I recently saw an incredible music video for Wilkinson called Afterglow that shows facts and stats about a 5 year relationship between a couple. I thought this was a very creative idea and something I am jealous I didn't think of. I realise I'm just venting now so I'll dial it back.

Hopefully someone here has got some creative ideas or narratives they wish to see in a music video and it could possibly help me back on the creative road.

Back