I want to buy a Video Camera, what to buy

BLISS

I've got the music thing covered, but now I'd like to make videos, nice ones, not some VHS recorded in slow motion. I want to be able to make the words come on screen, fade out, and in and such.

Like most of the video made on YOUTUBE were people showcase themselves making beats. Now I dont wanna do that, I wanna make a video, VIDEO of my music.

So what should I look for, something compatible with my MAC 10.3.9 (I havent upgraded yet) I use Digital Performer and Pro-Tools (seperate machines) but I'd like to know what kind of CAMERA I need, then how to EDIT FRAMES ('m pretty sure the cameras manual will tell me that).

Any help will do.

I dont need those telephoto lens joints like $4000.00 but something not so cheap, but not so high priced, I guess my limit would be $1200

BLISS said:
I've got the music thing covered, but now I'd like to make videos, nice ones, not some VHS recorded in slow motion. I want to be able to make the words come on screen, fade out, and in and such.

You are aware that you can do all of this with windows movie maker, right? Alot of people actually use movie maker to edit their vid's. If you have windows XP more than like you should have movie maker already installed on your computer

DiamonteDreamTeam

Good looks on that with iMovie, I never opened it, (never had to) but I see how it functions. So you say a high end HDV camcorder, anyone you could recommend of hand as a starter ?

JMK9992

My bad son, I just saw your sites at the bottom of your post, I gotcha, thanks fellas

Last edited:
I cant help you on the camera itself no knowlegde about that what so ever. But for video editing you should use Sony Vegas 7, and Adobe Aftereffects. Those programs are very professional and used by professionals aswell. Look up some tuts on google and your set.

Goodluck with the camera, tho i dont think this is the best forum for such questions.

I use after effects and I'm very happy with it and the whole adobe premiere suite for that matter. Before you plunk down money for a camera though, think the *whole* process through. I don't want to discourage you from making videos, because they can be a real lark, but from a business perspective, you have justify spending on the camera plus editing, plus all the time to learn the craft of camera work and lighting rather than taking the same money and getting bids on work done by local pros or even students. I'm sure there's a video maker somewhere who wants to take this problem off your hands...

But assuming you go the DIY route, do some reading on camera work, lighting, and the different types of shots. Having wasted more than a few hours on videos, I have the perspective that it's as hard to make a great video as it is to make a great song. If you are going to be in the shot, can you act (not every musician can), and who's the joker taking the videos anyway? That person may have no talent for making quality work, and believe me the person making the shots needs to have some talent.

You know, great video shots need very little editing other than fades and color correction, but what makes them? There are long shots, medium shots, close shots, and extreme closeups, but anyone can do those. But there are harder shots, the ones that move using a track or a jib (do you know what that is?) that take a video from being ho hum to being sexy and polished. Having spent way too much money on photography recently, I have new respect for using DEPTH OF FIELD, which makes the actor the most noticed part of the shot. A camera with interchangeable lenses can do this; my camera (Sony FX1) can't do it quite to that level, but you can also do it with AE with a little work. Think about the shots you want to make before you plunk down cash.

A lot of what makes *great looking* video, regardless of content, is lighting, film look (24p) and color adjustment. Lighting should be part of your budget, and yes, it can come from Home Depot. Film look in the digital realm comes from having true 24p, and that costs money. Videos taken with it look like film; videos taken without it look "too real". Color adjustment can be done on camera or (better for you) digitally in post processing like Adobe After Effects (AE) and it's what gives movies their darker , *dramatic* quality.

Anyway, make a priority list of features (camera, lighting, shots, editing) you want out of your videos and then, like buying a house, get the most you can for your dollar. Take your time, there is a lot to know.

Good Luck!

SIMPLE ANSWER:

You only need a simple DV camera. The basic features you wanna look for is the ability to white balance, and adjust iris and gain settings.

You could go with a Hard Drive Camcorder. I will hook right into your mac so you don't have to worry about capturing tapes, storing tapes, ect.

A sony 60GB Hard Drive Camcorder runs about $700-900. That leaves a bit for software if you want something like After effects, Final Cut, Ect.

High Def is nice, but if you don't know how to light, shoot, ect, all of your mistakes show up WAAY more.

all i do is shoot film and video. music is second fiddle..

the original poster need not spend 700 bux on a camera. if you are serious about getting into video production, there is a lot one needs to understand. if you want a slick production you will ned a DP, 1st AC, 1st AD, script sup, playback, honeywagon, gaffer, key, PAs... list goes on and on.. and you have not EVEN got to the camera package yet.

if you want some ideas on how to get into video making, drop me a note. for those in the know, i am a Steadicam operator and own my own equipment. hit me up if i can be of more help to anyone wanting info on this stuff..

BLISS said:
...I'd like to make videos, nice ones, not some VHS recorded in slow motion....

Whoops, completely missed that part. marctronixx is right, if you want nice videos, it's a tonne of work.

trezza said:
I use after effects and I'm very happy with it and the whole adobe premiere suite for that matter. Before you plunk down money for a camera though, think the *whole* process through. I don't want to discourage you from making videos, because they can be a real lark, but from a business perspective, you have justify spending on

:victory:
Vado~
Cool I need to know what is 24p? is it the color balance?

24p means in one second of moving images, you get 24 frames in one second. the P means progressive--meaning you get one entire frame scanned instead of 2 interlaced fields. you have heard of 1080i right? those are interlaced frames. 1080p means progressive frames.

check out canon XL serie ,it's hot on utube i think.
Also learn 3d,2d ( 3dmax,afterfx ) will enhance more of your movie like i did.Check out my 3d movie.

I shoot with a Sony VX2100, it is excellent in low light and night shooting. You should be able to get one for about $2,000. Check it out.

DO NOT, I repeat NOT! buy a simple hand held autofocus camera. Buy a DSLR! They are HD, Used to make almost all professional music videos and are perfect for your budget, also you should buy a ring light, because that is what gives the best look for closeups and that is what the pros use. also you may need external lighting for low-light situations

Back