How much do you charge for music videos?

The only reason I'd charge an hourly rate is if the artist is very specific about the things they want in the video and it becomes extremely time consuming. Although a flat rate of $300-$700 is fair and quite standard these days, it is meaningless and counter-productiove to a production company if the project takes an entire week or more to complete.

I do flat rates based on the project. Pick a starting point and go up from there based on what they are looking for. Keep in mind how many locations you are shooting at, possible lighting requirements and time it takes to set them up, extra equipment you may need (more cameras, ect), also if you need additional crew to help you, and editing time. I keep all of this and more in mind for each shoot that I take on. Then I break it all down for them and explain the pricing. Definitely take a half down deposit (non refundable) deposit to reserve the dates and times to shoot.

I start at $1K and go from there. Get a contract together and make sure you limit the scenes, takes, etc. try to minimize the "artist's" input into the video as some guys can be overwhelming to deal with. 1/2 up front, half on completion.

I am also wondering how much I should charge for a music video at my current skill level. I cannot post a link but if you look up youtube user realshadowg he has a music video up I just taped and cut for him. Appreciate the advise.

I agree with Richard. I feel that 5 or 10 videos in, you will have an idea how time consuming a concept will be to shoot. Not only will you have a better idea of how much time you will spend planning, shooting, and editing but you will know if you will need to rent any equipment also, just by listening to the artist's ideas. 5 videos or so should give you an idea if you really want to do videos as a job, or if it is simply a good idea you are having.

Hi friends i want to say you that i like to listen fast music and some time i like to change the music like slow and polite music but mostly i like to listen fast music because this is good albums and remove your loneliness.....

I'm reading some of the responses and I begin to pout. It's sad that if you're hired to do a music video for an artist that you would want to limit the artist's input and such. Is the music video yours or the artist's? I would suggest to those of you who want to limit the artists input due to "time", ask the artist to come up with a script, direction, mood and what they want conveyed. Unless you are the one with all of this then why should an artist suffer just for you to make a quick buck.

To waste less time, ask the artist to come back later with a script, detail them on how you shoot and why, what works best and you also need to be prepared to work under the given conditions! If there is a certain scene you cannot do / accomplish then say you can't. But don't take the job and then try to redirect the story. If am an artist who's gonna pay, I'm expecting results.

Jay_

You Can Always Get Somebody Whos Just Trying To Build Up A Nice Portfolio Give Em A Few Dollars And Get A Fresh Video Quick.. & Also If Your Making The Video Like ^^ Said I Wouldn't Be Worried About The Time It's Taking, Because Your The One Who Took The Job In The First Place .. Your Not Going To Give A Barber Money For A Half Assed Quick Haircut, You'd Be Pissed Right?

Back