how do you make a music video

• Thread starter theserenationstation
  • Start date
wow...

worth that and more??

damn.

yeah thats my opinion (and many others too)
for beginners that wanna get that good video thats what i would suggest. look up some videos on google, youtube, vimeo and see if u like it..

I swear canon should be paying me to promote their product hahaha i wish haha

however Nikon's lenses kick serious ARSE! especially if you can find some olde ones from the 80s... beautiful optics those nikons....

Marctronixx I'm curious....how did you get started? Or what was your path to becoming a professional cameraman?

I bought a camera and started doing music videos for practice and out of frustration from not getting any projects thrown my way from a production company I was working for. I'm just about done with college and I'm considering transferring into film school but its always interesting to hear of another person's path to their career.

NL,
i dont want to bore you with my path but ill try and keep it super nut shell-y :D

i just had favor form God. im not going to preach however i know i did. i did not go to school for production. i was able to get around pro people in the field who saw my determination and gave me a chance to shine. form that it led me to other people who again saw my determination and let me shine.

man i was born to do this stuff. i remember being in like third /fourth grade sitting at the desk in class and using the little plastic pencil sharpener as a camera and using the eraser heads as people and the pencil would be the boom mic. i would have a little makeshift production stage in the desk cubby hole and i would be lost in that world.... now i have a video production suite and a music prodiuction suite in my home. i can make beats and edit videos in my slippers and boxers without having to pay studio time or book a stage. that was my goal...

i wanted to be a photog for a TV station shooting news but i had zero education in cameras or editing. so this cat i knew (he was in sales at a radio station i was gigging with) would let me come in after the 11 o clock news and go oin a edit booth and play around. so i did that for a few weekends over a few months. i built a resume reel and when they had a position for editor open, i has his recommendation and a reel.. BOOM... i got in..

from there i moved up to photog and the rest is history..

when i wanted to get into steadicam i saw the movie "jackie brown" and saw the guy in the behind the scenes who operated steadicam. well i found his name in the credits and reached out to him. he mentored me.. gave me some info/contacts.. BOOM.. rest is history.

i never thought about going to film school --i just had doors open for me.

sounds like you are in a good place NL.. you are ahead of most of your film school buddies now seeing you have equipment and are already making a name for yourself. Youtube can make you famous in your sleep so post up your stuff get a following and boom! instant funk!

so damn this was long as hell my bag... :-(

Last edited:
what's the big deal about steadicam??

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

how many youtube "views" = famous??

Steadicam is a camera that is suspended in air from a counterbalanced arm that's attached to the camera man's body. It allows the camera man to move around without causing the camera to shake.

I don't think a certain count of views necessarily makes you famous. But there is a whole community of people who make revenue through ad-sharing on youtube. If you are consistent in uploading original content that regular exceeds a certain view count....you will be approached by youtube to become a "partner". They put ads on your videos and you get paid depending on a bunch of different rules. I've never seen an exact number of views that qualifies you for this. But from what I've heard on average any video you post has to get 20,000 views within a week for you to be considered.

Last edited:
from what I've heard on average any video you post has to get 20,000 views within a week for you to be considered.

oh wow...

that's A LOT...

damn...

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Steadicam is a camera that is suspended in air from a counterbalanced arm that's attached to the camera man's body. It allows the camera man to move around without causing the camera to shake

that's filthy...

NL,
i never thought about going to film school --i just had doors open for me.

sounds like you are in a good place NL.. you are ahead of most of your film school buddies now seeing you have equipment and are already making a name for yourself. Youtube can make you famous in your sleep so post up your stuff get a following and boom! instant funk!

so damn this was long as hell my bag... :-(

Man, I'll never get bored of hearing about success!

I'm not a religious person but I definitely believe in chance and the belief in yourself. Doubt defeats effort and once you truly believe that your doing what you should be doing with your life.....things just start to happen.

I'm kind of at the beginning stages of a path that's similar to yours.

I shot what I thought was a terrible short film as part of a class....somebody saw it and next thing I know I'm doing local assignment work for Comcast (even though it never aired). From that I happened to land a gig being a extra hand filming local college football games. Well one day a guy doesn't show up and I'm asked if I know how to work a small television broadcast camera....I said no and he said I had 30 mins to learn. Ended up shooting stuff at Cal and Stanford home games for the rest of the season. That got me a gig working for a production company that unfortunately for me wasn't getting a lot of work. Decided I needed to get my own camera and do my own thing and the 7d drops and so does $2000 into my bank account from back taxes that were owed........still waiting on what happens next lol

Hearing stories about how people get there are inspiring. As far as film school I'm not sure yet if that's the right move. I have a friend in the master's program at USC's film school. A school like that is the goal but I'm not really banking on any one path. Just trying to create.

oh wow...

that's A LOT...

damn...

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

that's filthy...

The view count isn't really that much. What's hard is being consistent and being original. Posting a video once every month that hits that view count doesn't cut it.

Browse the youtube channels and you'll see that people do videos on youtube similar to TV shows. Youtube is becoming a business where anyone can have their own drama, movie channel, comedy show, talk show. If you can shoot it then there's an audience out there waiting for you. Hell.... people are getting movie deals from posting original short films on their youtube pages.

If there was anytime to be a filmmaker I'd say it's right now. We're at the beginning stages of a transformation that's similar to when programs like FL changed the game for music by making it accessible to everyone with a computer. Same exact thing is happening with film right now. You don't have to have a deep pockets to make movies anymore. But just like music you still have to learn the craft.

Decided I needed to get my own camera and do my own thing and the 7d drops and so does $2000 into my bank account from back taxes that were owed........

that's tight...
:cheers:

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Youtube is becoming a business where anyone can have their own drama, movie channel, comedy show, talk show. If you can shoot it then there's an audience out there waiting for you

good info sir...very good info.
:smokinFP:

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

You don't have to have a deep pockets to make movies anymore. But just like music you still have to learn the craft.

word...

Just came across this thread really interesting.... I don't know much about video, but would like to know if anybody knows a good forum dedicated to that subject. Whether cameras, or editing it doesn't matter. I've learned some just by reading through this thread. Also, if there are any good books to look into...

Just came across this thread really interesting.... I don't know much about video, but would like to know if anybody knows a good forum dedicated to that subject. Whether cameras, or editing it doesn't matter. I've learned some just by reading through this thread. Also, if there are any good books to look into...

I go to dvxuser . com a lot. There are a lot of professionals on there. Vimeo has categories of videos people post dedicated to filmmaking. Youtube has a lot of tutorials out there too.

I can't recommend any particular books. You can find a lot by google before having to buy a book. I would read anything you can get your hands on and just start shooting. Torrent search engines have a lot of ebooks you can download too.

Last edited:
Back