Hip-Hop Video - New Video Open for Discussion [HD]

evrlove

Hi, my name is Jay--I'm new here.

I have two rappers who have worked with me for three or so months. They come down to the studio on the weekend, and they usually leave with a track. Lately we've been getting more adventurous... we've started a "crew" and we're moving in to video production.

Here is the latest:

Corey F. - Follow Me [HDPV] (Beat by I.D. Labs)

youtube.com/watch?v=LctDz9fDsY4

[You'll have to copy and paste. I'm being told that I need 20 posts to post links.]

I respect any and all feedback you wish to leave concerning the video, the rap, the beat, whatever. I'm here as a student, the same as the other members, I'm sure. You can also drop me a private message if you feel the need.

Thanks a lot,

Jay Lian

Ow yeah.. I'm viewer #3 :)

Pretty nice track, dynamic vid.

But I do have a few pointers if you want them (if not stop reading lol).

- Text
Mind that the letters Corey F in the beginning of the video are not easy to read; the letters are white and so is part of the overexposed background. In cases like that you can add a little shadow to your text to make it stand out a little and to prevent it from dissolving into the backgroundcolor.
[sarcasm]I wonder what the name of the artist is..?[/sarcasm] You show the name a little too much to my taste.

- Camera
I like the handheld shooting and all but don't overdo it. Also try to use the camera on manual mode if possible. In this way you have more control over the footage you get. I noticed you have the camera auto expose for you. That's nice for shooting random video's but I personally don't prefer to have the camera jump exposures on its own in the middle of a shot.

- Look
I liked some more colorgrading to give the video a certain feel. Especially in the beginning of the video it really looked like... a plain video. Just a few tweaks and you get something epic.

- Eye candy
It's a music video. Give your audience something to look at. In this video we have to look at the same guy rapping for the entire vid. There are unquestionably a few ladies, and probably a few gentlemen too, who will stay interessted by the visuals of the video (and hey if you're going shirtless; shave your chest xD). But the majority of the viewers will get bored like me. A) I don't fancy men B) There's not really anything going on. So show some more interessting stuff (like girls hehe) or tell some story in the video to hold the (visual) attention of the viewer.

Love to see your next vid.

peace,

jamesz

Last edited:
Ow yeah.. I'm viewer #3 :)

Haha. I got quite a following, what can I say?

But I do have a few pointers if you want them.

I love them. They inspire me to keep going.

Mind that the letters Corey F in the beginning of the video are not easy to read; the letters are white and so is part of the overexposed background. In cases like that you can add a little shadow to your text to make it stand out a little and to prevent it from dissolving into the backgroundcolor.

Yeah, I follow that. I made all the titles in photoshop and imported them as PNGs before I knew what they looked like on the video. I guess the smart way of doing it would be to screenshot the part where you want to put a title, and design the title over top of it. That way, you know what you're getting.

[sarcasm]I wonder what the name of the artist is..?[/sarcasm]
Ah hah. I understand that this can be annoying to a viewer.

(I actually throw up titles and banners to hide poor lip synching. Divert the viewer's attention to something else ... haha.)

I like the handheld shooting and all but don't overdo it.
Do you suggest using a tripod then? I found with some of my productions that a stationary camera is a drag. I kind of think every shot should be moving when in some way, be it a pan, a dutch angle, a zoom or whatever. Am I wrong on this thinking?

Also try to use the camera on manual mode if possible. In this way you have more control over the footage you get.

Manual focus scares me, simply because we don't ever plan our shots, or coreography. The sunbject is always approaching the camera or moving away from it.

I noticed you have the camera auto expose for you. That's nice for shooting random video's but I personally don't prefer to have the camera jump exposures on its own in the middle of a shot.

Yeah. I learned how to properly use zebra lines yesterday, ha ha. Gotcha.

There was actually that one part where the exposure drops dramatically near the end. That was a manual correction made in mid-shot, because I hadn't changed the exposure in that new location. I thought it might be a little quirky, so I kept it in. In hindsight, I see it sort of detracts from the video.

I liked some more colorgrading to give the video a certain feel. Especially in the beginning of the video it really looked like... a plain video. Just a few tweaks and you get something epic.

I feel like I actually overdid it in the end. I remember Blake showing me a bunch of Kid Ink videos, what have really dramatic high contrast and burned colours, so I wanted to try it. It's a flavour thing.

I also learned how to white balance yesterday, that would definitely help too. Haha.

It's a music video. Give your audience something to look at. In this video we have to look at the same guy rapping for the entire vid. There are unquestionably a few ladies, and probably a few gentlemen too, who will stay interested by the visuals of the video.
But the majority of the viewers will get bored like me.

I've had long conversations about this with one of my guys. He really, really, really doesn't want to be "fake". We're doing a different kind of Hip-Hop, one that's a little more mature in speaking. Cars, money, and hot chicks have been a staple of the game for so long, we're trying to break the mold. It's hard though, because we get that feedback a lot... boring. I think I might have to start doing art films just to keep the audience's interest.

(and hey if you're going shirtless; shave your chest xD)

Sorry bro, that's not how we roll in Canada. *manly laugh*

Love to see your next vid.

Me too. Thanks so much for the input!

Back