first video with new dslr

the problem with dslr's is that you constantly have to focus. it makes the video look cheap and cheezy....

Handheld DSLR is especially shaky because it's form factor wasn't really designed to produced steady video without a tripod. Shakiness is magnified if your lens has a longer focal length also. With moving camera, you have to focus the lens more because your subjects are changing constantly.

Solution: Buy or make a stabilizer like a Zacuto Rig, or use a tripod. Buy or make a follow-focus. Stop-down the aperture of your lens (if light allows) so that you have deeper depth of field. Check out the Canon f1.8 50mm prime lens. It's a beautiful thing for $100. Get the Canon f.1.4 50mm if you want to shell out the extra cash.

Folks, the camera doesn't make the video. Remember that. It's important that you buy the right tool for the right job. To those saying that the "problem" with DSLR's is that you have to focus... Every professional cinema camera is like this. Autofocus and small sensors don't exist on high-end cameras. They all have shallow depth of field, but their operators know how to pull focus accurately and quickly. If you don't want to deal with this, then you don't need a DSLR or anything with a sensor larger than 1/2" CCD.

Snax and AK hit the nail on the head. Just because u buy a camera doesn't mEan you r a cinematographer or director. There is a reason why people go to school for this stuff. If u just wanna get in front of a camera and spit ur raps, u could have saved alot of money by buying a regular old video camera off the store shelf and left it in auto mode. If you want great quality all the way around, hire someone who knows what they are doin. Period.
LevLove

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

If words or phrases like depth of field, aperture, or focal lenth sound unfamiliar to u, that's an indicator that you need help from someone who knows more about this than u. The "problem" of always havin to focus is what the educated/experienced call normal operation. I'm not even goin to begin to get on the importance of setting up shots and all other good stuff that goes into a quality production because most of it would be oblivious to u. Which is why u come out with poor video and come on here to complain about it.

follow-focus
Redrock Micro microFollowFocus V2 Quick Release CLAMP, Follow Focus for 15mm Lightweight Rods

Canon Lens - 50 mm - F/1.4 - Canon EF
Canon Lens - 50 mm - F/1.4 - Canon EF

hey AK entertainment what do you think of this lens of it's advantages for a video shoot with a EOS Rebel T2i EF-S 18-55mm
Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

I know lighting and knowledge of lens when to use them is a must just trying to wrap my head around this stuff

and what about this online school
The Photography Institute - Become a Freelance Photographer or Start an Exciting New Hobby!

I think I might take this for photography great flexible payment plan....
The Photography Institute - Become a Freelance Photographer or Start an Exciting New Hobby!

also do you know some like the online school I posted above that is for video and photography I'm looking for one with payment plans thanks

i think dslrs are great! they produce great quality and in the case of the t2i, relatively cheap. perfect for a beginner just learning. you have to start somewhere, not just hire someone to make the video for you.. then you will never learn.

Folks, the camera doesn't make the video. Remember that. It's important that you buy the right tool for the right job. To those saying that the "problem" with DSLR's is that you have to focus... Every professional cinema camera is like this. Autofocus and small sensors don't exist on high-end cameras. They all have shallow depth of field, but their operators know how to pull focus accurately and quickly. If you don't want to deal with this, then you don't need a DSLR or anything with a sensor larger than 1/2" CCD.

Indeed. Most of the time when you see e.g. Hollywood movies you won't notice it because they'll have a pro pulling focus... Takes some practice but if done neatly it rocks.

Back