Filming In The Dark with Lights

darkhorse91

Anybody out there have any experience with filming in the dark? I'm looking to do a music video in a club scene and we want to use lots of the club's lighting effects for the shoot. However, all of the test shots were either too dark and grainy, and then when we increased the overall lighting in the room, we could not see the cool disco/laser lights. Any ideas how to shoot in dark and capture the dance lighting as well?

You should definitely increase the ambient lighting in increments. In order to get the contrast you're looking for you have to crunch the blacks in post production. This will make it look closer to a club or night scene. You should light the subject brighter than the surroundings as well. It takes some practice to get the right balance. You can also use spotlight and glint effects plugins to enhance overall look of the scene. It shouldn't look artificial if it is done in moderation.

An experienced wedding videographer can probably tell you how to achieve this on a budget, I have very little low lighting experience so I can only repeat that which has been said here, illuminate your subject. Hope this helps.

Back