Could this be the next wave of music videos?

Social_ElmSt

I think Big Sean's vids are number one for this format but I just got hired by two new artists that want to take this approach to YT videos. Zaykk47 says it builds anticipation makes you want to c his face so you end up visiting his FB to c it and it forces you to actually listen to the music and not just watch online's version of 106 (his words lol.) What yall think?

More of Zaykk47

Last edited:
I see your view on this type of video. But looking at it from another perspective - why would you promote that video? If you want people to hear the artist's music, you should point them to a site that hosts wav files, for a better-sounding first impression.

Videos are produced the way they've traditionally been done because it gives the fan something else to associate the song with. Where you think it might take away interest from one aspect of your artist, a produced video also adds interest in another area. You still don't have to show his face in the video, either. There are performance-style videos, and all kinds of alternatives to that. Ironically, I've seen hundreds of music videos that just show the same pic for 4 minutes, like the OP video.

Sometimes I question why artists spend big budgets on videos nowadays, but at the same time, I don't think this example is the answer.

actually it's not MY view I jus respect my artists wishes n push for their aims after all I'm not the label shelling out $ I'm jus the guy u pay to spread ur name however u want to b known but it's a great idea if u can engage people's interest in the mystery n make them ask "who is this guy?" marketing is a science lol n as a marketer I can c that vision but as Freddy G MY view is
motion evokes emotion (always has, always will) so maybe it's not the wave of the future n will only work for certain artists every musician has to be different right? otherwise it's not art... again jus Freddy's opinion

Well i like the song its HOT but after i watched the video i liked the song less..go figure ...because i watch videos to see if the visual match the words or at least a alternative concept by way of visuals but for sure its depends on the person watching

I like the videos with the songs lyrics typed out as they're singing them...Justin Timberlake put out one not too long ago for Suit & Tie.
Been lookin for a titler plugin that does it.

I think Big Sean's vids are number one for this format

Which video of BIG Sean's does this? And I'm not sure you could ever consider this a video in anyway. Just a slideshow with a start and end. I'd assume this is what people do when they can't afford to make a video. I suppose you could do this if you already had a huge buzz, but as far as actually building one from "videos" like this...

Last edited:
It definitely won't be getting any music video awards, that's for sure.
As far as I'm concerned, a music video should help portray the message of the song while managing to captivate the audience. I know 10-year-olds that could make better videos with Windows Movie Maker. :P

1. Clique doesn't have an official video and it's not BIG Sean's song. The reason I was asking is because I like BIG Sean and I would've liked to see whatever video you were talking about.
2. You can shoot a video for that but I'm not gonna pay someone to upload my song to youtube with just a picture. I can do that.
3. What has worked thus far.
4. who r u dude?

Back