Canon,len,software budget setup-help me out

fataltone

Holy Lamb Media & Ent.
okay I go to buy this camera if my wife wants it.. but I'm thinking I can use it for the label too.. take great pictures/do my own video..

Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera and 28-135MM Lens Bundle - 18.0 Megapixel, 3.0" LCD, HD Movie, HDMI, USB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5214781&CatId=3631
$,1800

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
Telephoto Zoom lens
$1,500

5800w Fluorescent Lighting Kit with Boom - Britek
http://www.tubetape.net/servlet/the-428/cool-fluorescent-britek-4000/Detail
$700

Green Screen and Support Stand
http://www.tubetape.net/servlet/the-15/Green-Screen-and-Support/Detail
$150

Canon 200DG Digital SLR Camera Case Gadget Bag + Tripod Accessory Kit for Canon EOS Rebel XT, XTi, XS, XSi, T1i, T2i, 50D, 40D, 5D, 7D Digital SLR Cameras
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-200DG-D...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1283039304&sr=1-13
$70

Canon LP-E6 Battery Pack for Select Canon Digital SLR Cameras
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-LP-E6-B...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283039440&sr=8-1
$75

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 $750
http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-6505135..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0M14DPGZ5E3E4SENHTJ3

and creative and practice

that's equals up to 5k
anything else I should add but around 7k to 9k at the most

Get the 5D Mark II $2500 (body)
Canon 50mm $350
Canon 17-40mm $800

I say the canon 5D II cus its great in low light! so if you wanna do some guerilla shooting at night downtown and get Awesome footage
thats the way to go teamed up with a low f stop lens.

GET A NICE TRIPOD!!!! Manfrotto is Great

Maybe even a shoulder mount if u have the money.

Lighting is very costlly but makes every video look pro. so i cant really say what to get there since we made our own fluorescent lighting kit.

You plan on doing all ur editing on windows pc?

Do you have a plan to get ur investment back?

I would also suggest some external audio mic, on board mic isnt great. you can spend anywhere from 150-600 on that alone.

well my budget for a camera is about $1,900
I'm buying it with tax refund and we have to buy a mini-van too... kids man...
yeah the camera is more for my wife so.. I though hey if I have to buy a SRL camera might as well invest in buying some better lens,
lighting in the future. and do my own videos..
I'll make my investment back soon as I sign artists and shoot my first video/photo shoot
the research that I gathered shows for a indie label 5k to 10k is the price range for shooting (a) video.. with that much money I can buy decent equipment w/creativity, and practice I can make 100's of videos(lol)
what I plan on doing is
1.)getting a decent SRL in the $1,900(for the wife)
2. adding some amazing lens
3.some lighting
4.a decent tripod
5. better lens
6. recording sound with a portable audio interface if I'm shooting a video for our website..(most videos shot for the website artist interview etc..) will be shot in the studio with a boom mic
7.getting some editing software (pc)
8.first 2 videos hire college student director on the cheap(study him/learn)
9.first 2 videos hire college student video editor on the cheap(study/learn)
10.start doing my own shooting hire out on things I have weakness in
simple videos no much actors buy family/friends

From my experience indie labels dont pay 5k-10k per video. Your looking more like 1-2k per video and at first nothing until u can supply a demo reel of ur work. One HUGE thing about it tho is that there is a good amount of verbal diarrhea! no joke haha But yeah getting ur own artist to practice on and grow with is the perfect route!

Yeah the average artist or label isn't paying 5k-10k for a music video. I really wouldn't even worry about the money at first. Expect to do a lot for free. Like L-Trackz said find a artist you like and shoot a bunch of videos for them for free. They'll love you for it and promote the hell out of you, and you'll get to practice and learn without the pressure of messing up. I'm still doing this myself. Put together a good reel and keep getting better...the work will find you!

-Whether its the 5d or the 7d.....Buy the camera body only (kit lenses suck). Save the extra money and put it towards a better lense.

-I won't tell you which dslr to get but the difference between the 2 are pretty much: 5d=full frame, can only shoot 24 & 30 fps 7d=not full frame but more frame rate options 24,30,50,and 60.

-If you do get the 7d....keep in mind its not full frame. It has a crop factor of x1.6. Not gonna go into it here but it relates to the lenses you get, its true focal length, and then how it looks when using it with the 7d. If you need more info look it up or message me.

-That telephoto lense is nice but for the work you plan to do I don't think that focal length is ideal. Start out with a 50mm prime or get a zoom length like the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (I have this) or the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. You'd be better off renting that telephoto lense because 9x out of ten you would probably use it the least when shooting video.

-Lighting is something I can't speak on too much but from my experience flourescent lights can be a pain working with indoors. They can create brown artifacts in your vids if your not careful but they can be removed in post. If you can afford tungsten lights go for those.

-Tripod and a shoulder mount are essential.

Just my .02 but good luck!

For the artists I have set up shoots for its been about 700-1000 on average for video shoots because depending on where you live there are between 10-500 companys already doing the same thing. The problem with this industry everyone with a laptop and bootleg software things hes a audio or video producer ( not knocking you just the state of the industry ) Half my business is fixing someone elses music because they decided that a 300 demo was a great deal.

Dont expect to make any money like they said for the first 10 videos or so you have to get a reel and show work before expecting to get paid. Freelance stuff online is also a great way to get your hooks into video editing try mandy.com for tons of college students looking for freelance help with audio/video stuff its usually low/no pay but again get your reel and resume up first then worry about the money.

I am just getting into video recording I have been editing ( avid media ) for about 6 years now but I am not always happy with what is handed to me and I would like to cut out the middle man. Good luck with your ventures.

Yeah the average artist or label isn't paying 5k-10k for a music video. I really wouldn't even worry about the money at first. Expect to do a lot for free. Like L-Trackz said find a artist you like and shoot a bunch of videos for them for free. They'll love you for it and promote the hell out of you, and you'll get to practice and learn without the pressure of messing up. I'm still doing this myself. Put together a good reel and keep getting better...the work will find you!

-Whether its the 5d or the 7d.....Buy the camera body only (kit lenses suck). Save the extra money and put it towards a better lense.

-I won't tell you which dslr to get but the difference between the 2 are pretty much: 5d=full frame, can only shoot 24 & 30 fps 7d=not full frame but more frame rate options 24,30,50,and 60.

-If you do get the 7d....keep in mind its not full frame. It has a crop factor of x1.6. Not gonna go into it here but it relates to the lenses you get, its true focal length, and then how it looks when using it with the 7d. If you need more info look it up or message me.

-That telephoto lense is nice but for the work you plan to do I don't think that focal length is ideal. Start out with a 50mm prime or get a zoom length like the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (I have this) or the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. You'd be better off renting that telephoto lense because 9x out of ten you would probably use it the least when shooting video.

-Lighting is something I can't speak on too much but from my experience flourescent lights can be a pain working with indoors. They can create brown artifacts in your vids if your not careful but they can be removed in post. If you can afford tungsten lights go for those.

-Tripod and a shoulder mount are essential.

Just my .02 but good luck!

Yeah thats why we use the 5d and t2i PERFECT match up, the t2i is the baby 7d. Check out our reel!

Www.mediapeeps.com

The problem with this industry everyone with a laptop and bootleg software things hes a audio or video producer

who's to say who is and who isn't???

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

perfection

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

if you wanna do some guerilla shooting at night downtown and get Awesome footage

but what about EDITING the footage?

shouldn't the OP be concerned w/ having a strong enough computer to edit HD data?

what are your recommendations for computer specs when it comes to editing?

Thx for checking out the reel.

Well i assume that the OP isnt jumping into it blind and has some know how.

We use macs we have 2 stations a Mac Pro 2x8-core Nehalem 16GB RAM and 4TB RAID 2.93GHz

& a imac 24in (for the less editing videos) Final Cut pro as the editing software

that's impressive...

but is all that power really necessary?

yeah cus if your applying tons of color correction, filters etc its nice to know that ur system can handle it and not get totally boggled down. But hey man a imac works too! just a bit slower and may require a ton of rendering

yeah cus if your applying tons of color correction, filters etc its nice to know that ur system can handle it and not get totally boggled down. But hey man a imac works too! just a bit slower and may require a ton of rendering

i can dig it...

thanks you for the helpful info you've posted in this thread
:smokinFP:

From my experience indie labels dont pay 5k-10k per video. Your looking more like 1-2k per video and at first nothing until u can supply a demo reel of ur work. One HUGE thing about it tho is that there is a good amount of verbal diarrhea! no joke haha But yeah getting ur own artist to practice on and grow with is the perfect route!

only doing videos for artists on my label only.. trying to keep money in my pocket .. DIY mindstate...grassroot organization ya'll

yeah and I'm building a strong computer for my studio pc though... 16gigs of ram i7processors.. what kind of video card would you recommend something that will get the job done and be a little upscale.. my specs I gathered for my new pc to be built is at $1,200 already now with a new video card depending on research and some suggestions I'm thinking about $1,500.. more money to spend thanks God for income taxes for real.. alot of my big stuff in being brought through income taxes.. the wife and I ...are trying to build a company and do it right.. but when you're on a budget man..

Last edited:
that's impressive...

but is all that power really necessary?

Also some effects load direct to ram and you can only preview that way so 1 or even 4gb of ram just isnt cutting it these days. My avid system has 16gb as well but can be maxed at 32 but I just have not found the need to go there yet.

it's making sense because I only mess with christian artists.. and we are on a certain mission..
testimony
theology
praise
and edifying the body of christ

getting the body of christ of a building and into the streets as we are suppose to be..
it's sad christians want ppl to go to a (church building) to hear the gospel but we are suppose be going out amongst the ppl and letting it be heard

my label is more about the spreading of the gospel(the message of Christ)
not gospel as in music..
music is second
God first

not looking to mess with secular artists or ppl that aren't true to God..period...

sorry for the rant guys

I can pay 1k to 2k a video or buy my own equipment shoot as many videos as I want staying under 7k
so if I shoot 2 video per album that about 4k
two artists that's
their next album
4 more videos 8k more
you get my drift..
I'm buying the equipment as an investment...
plus in my original post.. my wife is making me buy her a SRL camera so I might as well invest in adding a some great lens,lighting, and software and using it to save me money..and I think it would be fun too..
but thanks for your input F or Dead.....

I live in Omaha Nebraska there's not many ppl doing video production here...
I'm new to the video production game.. but I'm a hard worker... research hard just looking for some direction on the way to go....with buying equipment
starting off with a
camera that about $1,800 as that's my budget to buy the camera for the wife..
she won't be doing nothing with it besides taking pictures of the kids..
lol:o

Last edited:
not looking to mess with secular artists or ppl that aren't true to God..period...

"Christians Only", huh?

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

is that how Jesus got down back in the day? Christians only?

(wrong thread, but just curious)

all good and all .. i mean dont get me wrong at all but an investment is suppose to make ur money back plus more so i guess my question is Do u have a way to gain it back? weather it be itunes, albums, shows ect... BUT hey maybe u have the dough and can do that with out making a return if so NICE STUFF haha

I live in Central Cali and NO one does video production here, thinking this we thought easy market to corner... only problem is that there aint a market haha so we have to travel a bit to the bay area, Los angeles, etc..

Back