Best Cameras For Music Video Production PLEASE HELP

Hey I'm looking to get started and am very serious about getting into Video Production.
Willing to spend anywhere from $400-800 but I'm new to this stuff so please help a brotha out

Yo, about to graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Film.

GO for the DSLR's, they are definitely the new bad boyz in film - they put the big broadcast quality cameras to shame. Loads of people are using them now for music videos, so it's not that special anymore, but you get that 35mm (feature film) look because of the narrow depth of field.

Canon T4i (650D) or PANASONIC GH2 (or the newer GH3) are the best cameras for music video production.

Canon T4i (650D) is a versatile group of video cameras and mulit-camera shoots that saves you a tremendous amount of time on set nad more important is that you’ll have money left over to invest in a good set of lights, tripods, dollies, and other crucial film gear. The cost is $750.00 (Body Only)

PANASONIC GH2 (or the newer GH3) is good for music video directors as Well as for starters, it produces some of the most crisp and high resolution video footage. it’s hackable Unlike Canon’s DSLR, which are crippled by low bitrates and codecs, with the GH2 (hacked) you can get a high quality codec. The cost is $785

So, the best is PANASONIC GH2 that is costly than Canon T4i.

Inspire Music Marching Band
-inspiremusic.com

If I were you I'd rent a camera for now based on the job. DSLRS aren't bad but they aren't good either, It's a still camera that shoots video. They don't do TC they are a pain in post and you don't have any latitude in your image when it comes to color and exposure because of the compression and codec. The way around this would be to get an Atomos Ninja which will get you the best image from the sensor in a good codec. I'd save up and get something like the Canon C100 with the ninja.

I'm afraid everyone is behind the times... DSLR´s WERE the greatest tool for entry level film-making, but now they are starting to fade, while mirror-less cameras try to close the gap between DSLR style cameras and camcorders, just take a look at sony's AX100 4k camcorder and tell me which DSLR out of the box can compare with it (Panasonic's DMZ1000 has several issues which doesn't make it a cheaper alternative). I own a T3i, a great camera, but soon to be replaced with a camcorder (I originally started out with a borrowed Sony FX1 and a Canon XHA1 but only for a very limited time, and I must say, DSLR isn't what everyone says it is, even with Magic Lantern).

just use any DSLR you can buy, the vast majority of audience dont mind the camera you use,they mind only the content.
Do great content with it

just use any DSLR you can buy, the vast majority of audience dont mind the camera you use,they mind only the content.
Do great content with it

I must disagree with you, the vast majority of the audience are always COMPARING you to others. There were times that a song by itself was awesome, but once I saw the music video, the quality of the song became tainted because of the video, and there have been opposite cases, where the video improved the song.Professional music videos cost money or at least a lot of time and effort. In order to do them correctly you need to plan them out correct. Usually a DP (Director of Photography) plans how things are going to be shot, but sometimes a single person must fill in several roles, such as Casting Director, Screenplay writer, Director, Director of Photography, Editor, Producer (these are the roles I usually have to fill in on my gigs), so it may become to difficult to focus entirely on a single aspect. I don't think there is a single 400-800 dollar camera that is proportionally good for it's price range when there are 1400 dollar cameras that are 4 or 5 times better in picture quality. Remember that a DSLR requires more investment than just a body, lens will be needed for specialty shots, and some lens cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. Some DSLRs require an external DV recorder in order to use 10bit 4:2:2 profesional video for professional color grading, because their native 8bit video is overly compressed for color grading. There are too many factors here to consider, all I know is that DSLR cameras are cheap to buy, but expensive with all the accessories. Later today I will give you a camcorder option with stabilization equipment that meets your budget in order to help you out.

Back