best camera for shooting music videos??

RhyanCrisis

i have been looking at the canon models (t2i, t3i and t4i, i'm leaning towards t4i). i'm willing to spend 800-1000 so whats the best camera or camcorder for music videos?... any suggestions?

It´s like asking whats the best EQ plugin. It´s not so much the plugin but more how u use it.

That said; if you plan to shoot low light conditions (just after sunset etc.) you want a camera that handles those low light situations. That costs. But with your budget it should work. I am using a Panasonic HDC-HS 700 witch is excellent in low light. I also recommend having a GoPro for full daylight shooting. The wide angle on the GoPro makes it poss to shoot so many great scenes in movement.
Also; keep in mind that many music videos these days are shot with DSLR cameras. That is also an excellent choise. In fact Ray Kay suggested to anyone interested in starting shooting videos to get a DSLR as a start.

Take a look at this video shot with Panasonic HDR-HS 700 and this video shot with GoPro Hero

And this Video using the GoPro this is how good it gets. Remember to watch it in at least 720HD.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
sorry i am still new with music video, i am not sure if we'll be shooting night time videos... but if its possible to get that feature in a cam under 1000 then sure, i want the more versatile cam possible, its my first cam to.. so one thats good to learn everything on ...... get the eff outta here.. that camera is 400 bucks?! crazy... would you recommend that over the canon ti models?... i think the video does look better on these than the canon tho... but i'm still new lmao

Ah I did a length reply to you here but my Safari froze up. Cant be arsed to rewrite it all so:
I checked the consumer top models some years ago and landed on the Panasonic HS-700.
Dont know other cameras and not updated today.

Google "best music video camera under XXX USD".
Don´t forget to look at DSLR´s too.

If you looking at the t series, I would say get a t3i as it would be cheaper than the t4i. The swivel screen is the only advantage over a t2i. It would probably be best to get just the body. Spend the rest of the money on a 50mm 1.8 or a 50mm 1.4 lens. That should help you in low light situations.

I started with a t2i then added a 6d. The 6d is a beast!

Really depends on what you want from the video, as far as entry level recording goes the Rebel t2i can do wonders if you purchase the right lenses. Camera equipment adds up though so if you want to really have nice looking stuff be prepared to spend a decent amount of money if not on camera bodies than lenses

Don't forget about all the different lenses you're going to need if you do go for a DSLR. Nowadays I'd say you can't get away with not filming with a DSLR if you want it to look professional. With a budget of 1000 you should just buy a second hand DSLR body from ebay, unless you can find somewhere cheaper, and you'll have enough for a few second hand lenses from there too and a bit of equipment e.g. tripod, steadicam.

any lense recommendations for the lenses, if i did get the canon t4i, i was planning on getting the kit with the 18-35mm and later get the 18-135mm,

ps: keep in mind guys, i know i won't be competing with steven spilberg with a 1000 camera lol. but i want something good enough for internet purposes, (ex youtube, websites etc) music video purposes like world star, etc

Last edited:
One could look for a series of Nikon cameras as it has come up with the latest collection of cutting edge technologies. From high capacity camera, you could easily shoot the music videos.

I have the t2i + a 50mm 1.8 lens and its completly acceptable. You can also install magic lantern to have more controll over your cam.

Back