Beginning Video Production

BlvckTaz

I don't even know where to start man. Sorry for the redundancy, I'm sure there are probably 4 billion of these threads. Just a few questions: - How do you sync lyrics with those said in the video?

- How do music videos get that "movie" quality look and not the soap opera look (amateurish)?

- Where do I start, as in what equipment do I need.

- What editing program to use?

I plan on using my galaxy s7 edge as it records in 1080p and 4K. Despite these capabilities is it still silly to do this?

I just finished making a few videos and it definitely takes some practice, a decent camera, and a good computer. If you want practice just piecing together clips you could take a song you like and record some footage to place over top of it. It's best to have the clips transition to the beat in some way so it fits with the song.

For equipment you'll want a camera capable of recording 1080p at either 30 or 60 FPS (most smart phones can do this) and stick to shoot in landscape mode so it's horizonal
You would probably be good using a computer with at least a quad-core processor and about 8-16 GB of memory if you aren't serious about videos (you could go up to 32GB if you wanna do a lot of videos)
If you want to use your phone to take shots try to find a way to attach it to a tripod to get nice steady shots

My favorite program is Adobe Premiere Pro and you can pay monthly to use the program or illegally download it by torrenting the files from the PirateBay (my method of choice ;) )

You'll get the nicest looking clips with loads of light so if it's going to be inside try finding all the lights you can. Other than that you'll just want to add some transitions and fades in maybe, as well as sequencing the clips so they look good together.

Just practice for fun figure out the difficult parts before you try doing an actual music video for yourself or someone else

if you are going to use your galaxy s7 edge then invest in a phone tripod and phone lenses (yes they are a thing). Otherwise invest in a DSLR camera, your galaxy will do fine with some basics. Once camera is sorted you are going to need lights. Lighting is one of the most important parts. To lighting follow the 3 point lighting plan (google this). You are going need a mix of Soft and Hard Light. You can get cheap softboxes online for 50 dollars and a easy hard light is the same price at your local warehouse stores (outdoor work lights). Now once Lighting and Camera is secured you are ready to film. You are going to want to make sure you are recording audio so you sync it in post and get a fuck ton of takes. Now Editing, Premiere pro is great for beginners go watch heaps of tutorials on that. Editing is a fine craft , if you are editing hip hop you are gonna want to do fast cuts 3 - 5 seconds on each shot going in and out. If it's a slower music clip you are gonna want to take your time and punch in on key moments.

Back