$2000 budget looking for cheap ways to make one video and one tv commerical

fataltone

Holy Lamb Media & Ent.
as the title states
$2000 budget looking for cheap ways to make one video and one tv commerical

in what ways can I make a super cheap video...
rent lighting,the telescopic lens for my EOS 550D
just do a studio video of the rapper in the studio(using Cannon EOS 550 HD video)
and mixing in images of what he is rapping about??????

1.how much in general to have it edited ?????
2.how in general to have the color retouched????

commerical is simple right???? I have a Cannon EOS 550 that takes HD video
rent lighting,the telescopic lens for my Cannon EOS 550D
just need to know once I have the video shot
1.how much in general to have it edited ?????
2.how in general to have the color retouched????

try to do both the commercial and video on the same day to save on lighting rental expense

I plan on using a college student who is almost fininshed w/school and looking for some credits

looking for creative/cheap ways to make a video...claymation,animation lol...???
I know its a super type budget guys
give it to me straight but please be polite this is real stuff not just talk.....15months till I start a video shoot but my budget is set in stone unless I win the lottery

I'll be doing photo shoots myself and then paying for professional retouching also
again plan on doing this the same day to save on lighting rental expense
looking at a 10 hours day
maybe???? lol

budget set in stone pretty much
5000 discs with bars,shrink,etc...(4,600)
Artwork (500)
Discmakers hookups (200)
Discmakers posters,promo (500)
Discmakers mastering (800)
Dismakers 200 CD-R in jackets (400)
Photo retouches (500)
website (500)
Electronic Billboard (1000)
Websites banners (500)
Physical Ads (300)
Flyers full color (200)
Promo video commerical (2,000)
total (12,000)
240 beats sold and/or mixes @$50=$12,000
balance 0
$7000 at discmakers
$3000 promotion
$2000 video/commerical
goal sell
5000 physical discs
5000 digital albums
1000 singles digital downloads
with friends and family I can do 5000 units total for sure out of the 10,000 units needed to sell
using not distribution but word of mouth and small local promotion

---------- Post added 04-03-2011 at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-31-2011 at 07:22 AM ----------

no one?????trying to get my business plan done... I need some serious numbers I might be able to get a loan through NDBC or my local SCORE chapter

---------- Post added 04-09-2011 at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-03-2011 at 04:16 AM ----------

where's all the video production students...??? those who made videos on a tight budget that has did it before...

renting or buying equipment
using family in the commericials to get free cast
???
any help guys come up...

Last edited:
There are a few places online where you can rent lenses for very cheap. I'm talking $20 - $60 for a week. They mail them to you, you use it for a week, then send it back. Make sure you check out reviews of them before you use them so you know it's legit. If you're shooting in a studio (I'm guessing it's tight quarters?) then you'd want to get a wide angle lens. Maybe get a couple different ones for different purposes.

Are you planning on asking the same college student to edit and color correct? If he or she is good, I'd offer $400 - $500 to do both videos. I think most college students would be happy with that. Just make sure they know what they're doing.

Yeah. Snax is definitely right about asking a college student. Professional editing services generally start at something like $1200 a day. You can rent lights like you said, or even buy some really cheap lighting off sites like TubeTape. It's not going to be as flexible to work with or as reliable, like it'll break real easily. But if you're on a budget that tight, it may be your only choice to buy a couple of their kits with a softbox or 2. Shoot for four lights if possible. You'll be amazed at the flexibility you'll have over 3.

The magic in everything cinematic (maybe not necessarily what you're going for...) is in the lighting. The camera doesn't matter if the lighting sucks. Read up on your lighting techniques for CINEMA (not video, there is a huge frickin' difference lol) until the shoot.

Is shooting a commercial simple? NO. Commercials are usually much more complex and often more expensive than music videos. However, "TV commercial" is a very broad term, so I can't say if what you're shooting will be simple or not. See below.

You need to give me more specific information on what you're planning on doing and how you want it to come out, where is this going to be distributed to, etc. Then I can guide you through shooting and even give you some specific low budget lighting setups for shots and things like that, especially once you decide on the exact equipment you're going to rent.

Is shooting a commercial simple? NO. Commercials are usually much more complex and often more expensive than music videos. However, "TV commercial" is a very broad term, so I can't say if what you're shooting will be simple or not. See below.

You need to give me more specific information on what you're planning on doing and how you want it to come out, where is this going to be distributed to, etc. Then I can guide you through shooting and even give you some specific low budget lighting setups for shots and things like that, especially once you decide on the exact equipment you're going to rent.

not looking to do a high tech commerical something like this
Reach Records » Video
Reach Records » Video

simple..funny.. and giving info...on the label,artists,contact info....at the end...w/first single release playing
so maybe a 30 second commercial

want to air regionally local tv channels

music video I want to make something like this alot of b&w and color shoots,outdoor shoots...in recording studio shoots...simply edifying effects.....
YouTube - Tedashii - Need It Daily - ft. PRo (@tedashii @mynameispro)

Alright, I gotcha. That's simpler than what I thought you were asking. This kind of stuff is much more straightforward. Really, your main concern is going to be coming up with something original and interesting, and, well, that's up to you and whoever you're working with.

Other than that, I'll just ramble on for a few minutes about a couple of tips that may or may not be helpful to you, but here goes. I would suggest to try and shoot on an overcast day for anything outdoors (overcast = virtually no need for any outdoor lighting, even on the biggest budget film shoots). Don't worry a whole lot about lighting; stylistic lighting is a lot simpler than you would think. For example, on a studio shot, you probably only need one overhead hardlight. Although on 550d, that could be risky, so a better idea would be to use a softlight or maybe two. This is how most studio shots in music videos are done these days anyway. In other words, take that hard light and put a softbox on it. And if that's too much trouble, then don't worry. Just shoot under the studio lights, it'll look fine. Just try and give it a bit more of a documentary feel, and it should be alright.

The things to pay the most attention to on a shoot like this are concept, exposure, and composition. Whatever you do, don't let your highlights blow out. If that means crushed shadows, so be it. Crushed blacks will always look more normal to the average viewer. On the other hand, blown out highlights will always scream "handycam." When framing your shots, think about the angle the camera is at and the proportions of things in the background, etc. Just because it's a low budget shoot, some people think they shouldn't bother with composition/framing, and they just point their DSLR at things and focus randomly. Don't be like them. Make the best of what you have. If there's not a huge equipment budget, instead of freaking out about "We need to have LIGHTS!", just focus your energy on the artistic side of things.

When you're having your editor work on stuff, be sure they don't just throw on effect after effect. Anyone who's ever used his or her software before (and trust me, there are plenty of folks who have) will immediately recognize the cheesy "trails" or "sparkle" filters if they're thrown on the footage without any actual relevance and turned up to the max. Use effects sparingly. That includes black and white. Don't make some shots randomly B&W and others color. Either make the whole thing in color, or use black and white all the way through. The point is that it shouldn't be considered an effect; black and white can be a very powerful filmmaking tool when properly used, and only when properly used.

There's a new Pac Div video (I think it's called Anti-freeze) shot on 5D that is a pretty good example of some of the things I mentioned above. It's not too far off from that Tedashii one you linked to.
And if there's any single thing that will lead to a successful shoot when under pressure and deadlines, it's PLANNING. I'm telling you-- plan for EVERYTHING. Write down every single shot you plan on getting, jot down ideas on how to get each shot done, angles, lenses, whatever. Come up with alternative locations to shoot in case one place doesn't work out, think ahead about possible issues that could come up. Maybe even visit your locations ahead of time and practice shooting some footage. And try to get as much time out of the day as you can. You might think 10 hours is enough, but if it isn't, then it's too late to decide once you're on set.

Phew!

Man... you reminded me of the Lecrae concert I had to miss last week... ;P

thanks man... great info... actually very detail knowledge you dropped...exactly what I been looking for ... I was actually thinking of hiring a ametuer director...too... one that's not looking just for pay but more like credits.. and someone that can become a inhouse director... doing all our future commercials,videos aka another college student (that has the same beliefs as the company)
yeah Lecrae never comes up this way I don't think Omaha,NE is in the middle some say in the middle of no where... but we say we are the new york of Nebraska..
I thinking starting a label here in Omaha,NE will be hard because of haters...crab in the barrell kind of mentality

No problem. About the amateur director thing, that could be tough... As it is, good full-time directors that can continue to put out quality concepts are hard to come by these days... finding one that shares your company's beliefs and is willing to work without pay for more than a project or two... You may have to search for a loooonnng time. On the plus side, you may find a new director who's actually got a really unique vision. The good thing about anyone new to the industry is that they'll most likely be willing to work without pay for several projects so they can get a director reel going... after that, of course, they'll need to be paid, and well... rates are A LOT higher than most people think when it comes to the cinematic production industry. As in, a 10 minute corporate promo video - oh, I don't know, something like... $25k per day!!!

But hey... Good luck with what you're doing. I'm sure you'll get it figured out in time. Just be careful which corners you cut if quality matters to you. There's an overflow of people trying to make it big in both the music and film industries... But so few of them have true talent and passion, and so many are just in it for cash... They're out there somewhere lol

Television spots are quite expensive.
I run a home improvement company, and spent close to $10,000 on tv ads.

Here is a GREAT article on viral video for music.

The key with marketing is to spread it out, which it looks like you've done, and to saturate it, so you look like you're everywhere.

Although you are spending way more on manufacturing than you are on actual marketing.
It should be the other way around. And what you are manufacturing isn't going to be bought. People don't buy CDs anymore. Although they are a media transportation method for communicating what you have for sale.

You might need to rethink your target market and your profit goals.

What is it you are selling? Well it looks like you are trying to get beats sold.

And to whom? Well artists, producers, and labels seek out new music all the time.

Where are the people you sell to? When people are searching for instrumental material are they watching TV? The more people you meet and network with the more people you know, and people rather buy off who they know.

Nothing sells music like music.

What music do you have?
Taking that 5-7 grand you want to spend on making CDs, plus however many thousand you would have spent on TV stuff and instead investing in known artists to make a radio hit will give you material to promote your production skills.
When your music starts getting heard, if its good, people who pay for production aspects will want to find out who's on that other end.
With music, it's better to be on radio than TV anyhow.

Once you've invested in making a couple hits, then focus in getting your music into the hands of people that promote it.
Have a short run of 200-300 vinyl records pressed. Find out who the DJ's are who spin in clubs that play the kind of music you make and get a couple records/CDs to them.
Get some nice promotional packages together of vinyl and CD and send them out to radio stations to get played. Again, being on the radio will be far more beneficial than being on tv.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

Oh, and by the way, why are you paying Discmakers to master your music? Is it a requirement on their end?
Find a local studio to master your stuff for you. It will cost less. And frequenting the place will probably afford you the opportunity to bump into people you could possibly work with.

And sorry for my ignorance, but what is this "Electronic Billboard" you want to spend a grand on?

through discmakers you can get 1000 CD-R made with artwork on the cd done for $490
Bulk CD Replication, Bulk DVD Replication
those 1,000 CD-R plus press release is what I'll be sending to colleges that play christian music
the 5,000 physical CD will be sold $5 at youth group rallies... free concerts will be doing giving away free food and drink(thanks extreme couponing learning the skills through my coupon forum)
at the downtown park do that every weekend in the summer and fall
and using volunteers aka the label's street to sell the physical units selling to specific group adults and youth who love "urban gospel" music...
as 10% goes to Holy Lamb Workers that does community works and supports youth groups..

When I worked at Marriott Hotel this Christian rapper did a two day gig at a Christian rally at the hotel... this youth christian rally is done every year at Marriott and these kids come from what ppl would call super hick towns and they love the guy and not to hate but the guy wasn't really good...and he sold quite well just by putting his CD on a table...
I use to loved when that rally came they keep the ballroom jumping for sure mostly christian rock though...

electronic billboard sorry the real word is digital display instead of the regular poster type billboard that advertisers been using for decades.. now they have these digital display billboards that play about 5 to 10 different ads in rotation actually they are called digital displays LED in form...now I'm sure you saw them in your city

there's one right in the "hood" where everyone passes by 42nd and Ames tons of ppl pass by stop at ...the two "hood gas station" on the both sides...
which also sell liquor,blunts, and local music ....both gas stations are own by the same guy as well as the bar/barbershop on 40th
I live on the next block ....crazy the wife of the guy who owned the barbershop/club/bar ... was killed and dragged to the house that was burned over down acroos the street for giving a girl and her brother a eviction notice...
Omaha,NE is a very,very,very violent city... I hate when it gets warm... there's always a shooting everyday and on the weekends for sure...

that's why I feel passionate about getting this music at to folks and using the 10% to do community works
that's why the label motto is
"Get out of the Pews Crusade"
which is going to be on all kinds of banners and such ...

I restructed my business plan beefing up my marketing plan adding much more to the pot... using $20,000 for startup investment ...this doesn't include the equipment and studio build.. that's what I'll be bringing to the table..
going to try to get a loan through my throughl NBDC or through my local SCORE Chapter (they also help you get your numbers together too.. they help make sure you business contains everything you need to show a invester... in their case just ppl who give you a loan with low interest...)
I mean two mini-van with graphic wraps is going to be great advertisement..
Omaha, NE - Vehicle Signage, Wraps and Graphics | Harvey Custom Signs

I tons of great advertisement ideas

the (compliation album) 5,000 physical units and the 5,000 digital downloads 2,000 single digital (which includes for free the video for the single)

will be used for a foundation for the first major release from the label

depending on what artist gets the most love will depend on who comes out first...

the label will start will 4 artists...and one rap/rock/soul band is the plan...

so at 10,000 units at $5 a piece+2,000 singles sales @$2 a piece that's=$54,000 taking in account some expenses

and 10% goes to Holy Lamb Workers I say the label will recieve 80% of the revenue from the sales $43,200

the artists get 20% of the revenue which is $8,640/4=$2,160 a piece...

the only way to get someone to agreed to such a small amount of money is the artist doesn't have to pay for the instrumental,promo,food,recording,mixing,cd duplication all the cost of putting out music

making the instrumentals myself as well as getting christian producers to volunteer their beats for free

once the compliation reaches the "goal" of 20,000 units
the artist gets all rights to their songs on the compliation selling it through the labels website
giving to the 20% w/the volunteer producers....
if they are using one of my beats they get 100% of their sales

the artists also know the label is investing all the money back into the label to release the first solo album from the label and so on and so on....

releasing album every late spring and then just pushing every album mostly pushing digital sales.. keeping duplication fees to the minimum...hope to sell alot abroad in europe

as well as running the label I will keep my day job telll the artists to do the same...

so that's why I need to know how to save money on video production...as single sales with be giving away the videos for free doing 2 videos for the compilation

now again working with SCORE and NDBC they will help me maximize sells through planning ... but we all know the best plans don't always work..but sometimes the plan works well
and If the label can sell the goal of 100,000 units per release I will be super hyped this can be over the 5years( the life expectation of most small businesses)

the goal is to release 10 albums over the 5 years that will be pushed hard
and 1 digital dowload only complition every year which 90% goes straight to the Holy Lamb Workers
5% for the artist and 5% for the label with the 90% maybe I will be able to get federal loans for being a partial noprofit...
I need to talk to the SCORE and NDBC and see what I can get....

maybe restruction how much I give to the Holy Lamb Workers...because their millions of dollars giving to non-profit from the government not to mention the public who gives....

I'm think of the Goodwill model they sell items and are still non-profit

no taxes ...maybe I can get a discount on taxes

I'm sorry to go on and on in the video production section guys...

okay. sounds on point.
since your coming at it from a label perspective.
I was looking at it from a producer point of view.

You definitely have a plan.
Now you just need to back it

Ever look into Kickstarter to help fund things?
If you get the word out about your plans to better the community, you may even gain support from locals that may not even have a taste in the actual music but would like to help better their surroundings. Press releases to the local newspapers may get the word out free in print and send some investors your way.

Good Luck man.

oh yeah that's why I'm working with
SCORE
Home

and

NBDC
Nebraska Business Development Center

they help you get everything together so you can approach a investor(s)....but they have many members who give out loans to those they feel they can get the loan back with interest of course they are all about helping small businesses succeed

Back