Are you struggle?

I

istar12

After many years of producing there is one thing I really struggle. I can play some really nice melodies and layering things around, but nothing seem to work.

You know when you listen to someone else's beats, you have that instant gut feeling which I called it the "WOW factor".

When I make my beats I don't have this. And even if I did to a small extinct, this instant gut feeling goes away really quick. I get bored really quick and I'm having trouble to make my beat to pop.

One tip I learned along the way was the swing and the timing they have to be right. You cannot play everything at the same time. For example, in Fruity Loops 12 there is a new function under 'time' you can increase the swing feature to make certain instruments to play at different timing. After I figured this out my beat started to show some emotions. Emotions is very hard to achieve. Just because you can play 1 or 2 part doesn't mean it's going to work. I would say this is one of the biggest factor in my production that I struggle.

What are some of the things you struggle?

Last edited by a moderator:
I struggling with make good melodies in piano and contruct full song, my style house but i keep doin the same starts and the same borring songs.And after a tutorials my song construction being the same everytime start with theme song and drums and when its come after drop i dont know what to do.

The good old "10% inspiration, 90% perspiration" holds very true with music-making - the initial 4-bar (or whatver) groove can come easily, but working it out into a finished beat can often include a lot of the boring stuff. Which is why you develop a workflow that makes the 90% part more efficient and even fun.

I struggle with finding my voice, my style, my genre. It seems each time I make a new track, it sounds a little different. I think I will find a style in time.

I struggle with writing lyrics, and singing too. I'm terrible at both, but instrumental music isn't very popular. I'll keep practicing. I believe it's entirely about practice.

And I also struggle to achieve that professional sheen on my finished songs. But I suppose I'm much closer to that pro sound than with anything I mixed two years ago. It's all about practice and patience.

One thing I found helpful, to not make it sound so computerized. Is to go into the piano rolll, and slightly move the pan up and down for each note (Mainly HHs) when they are place back to back. Along with doing the same with the velocity

Yes, my friend. Yes, I am struggle as well. Just came from getting my ass kicked (figuratively, of course) by my instructor. Doing the walk of shame back to the 'shed.

My struggle would be having a melody/sound in my mind and not being able to express it or find the right tool

I like fusing genres together but I find it very hard. I also struggle with structuring tracks- if I stick to a classic EDM build- drop -breakdown drop or a minimalist I tend to be ok but sometimes that structure doesn't work and I struggle then.

The challenge is getting enough variation in to keep the track interesting, but not changing too much so that things feel out of place, and also keeping a unifying theme throughout

Also mixing and mastering- mostly because my setup isn't very good. There's only one track I've done where I'm actually happy with the mix

Last edited:
Yep. Music theory and getting used to sidechain stuff and might delve more into the mixing side beyond shelving.
Compressors are so odd I tell ya.

Gonna be learning all the scales I can and learning each chord by heart so less brain usage during little synth riffs.
Integer notation is good for finding all the notes but at this point I just want all of em embedded in the brain.

Not sure if there's chord scales or proper fingering for chords either but from the scales it seems as if thumb does not touch the black notes in 3-4 note chords at all tho.

Even just the basics of music theory have helped me come along way in terms of getting my ideas down.
Then all the fine tuning comes into play. Actually getting it to sound the way you want is the hardest part for me

Back