You gotta Be different

zekemusic

With all the producers out there the only way your music is going to get noticed quickly is if its significantly different or has a new sound. Alot of people including myself try to recreate an already present sound and even though it may sound great, its already been done. Of course you can still get noticed with any club banger just some food for thought.

No that's not true at all. Culture is a top down thing, the people at the top decide whats going to be hot.

If it was not that way, Europeans would still be wearing suits and listening to classical music. Not making total fools on themselfs like they are today.

I was really good, I mean your ok, but I was actually really really good. Also my time was a lot before you as well,

You had it very easy because all the hard work of working out how to get the sound has been done, you can start off learning all the techniques right away.

When I started it was hard to do because there was not even any internet. Thats why the rewards in those days were so big, nowadays its easy and really anyone can probably get to a good level if they can put a bit of time and effort in.

That said, I dropped out of doing music, because I don't like what it promotes, i just deiced the whole thing was scummy and immoral.

Its gay anyway. Being a soldier or jet pilot is really cool. Being a little boy who wants to show off he is talented is really corny.

Ok hope that helps....

I think it was Emerson who said "Imitation is suicide"

Creating your own sound is essential. These days, most everyone is trying to sound like someone else because the person they imitate found success. People should be creating new music, not reverse engineering top tracks and producers. The reason a lot of people who are not "educated" on a genre usually say "It all sounds the same to me"

I think there is a kind of blind accuracy to that point. Most stuff does sound the same. We have the obligation, if you consider yourself an artist, to try and buck convention and create something new. Even though we are all contributing to the massive pile of music.

I WAS a soldier and am now a DJ and Producer. Trust me, being a soldier is not a "cool" job. People growing up playing video games like call of duty or whatever else simulates combat and war idolize soldiers because it seems cool.

"Once that first bullet goes over your head, politics and all that other s*** goes out the window"

Last edited:
I think it was Emerson who said "Imitation is suicide"

Creating your own sound is essential. These days, most everyone is trying to sound like someone else because the person they imitate found success. People should be creating new music, not reverse engineering top tracks and producers. The reason a lot of people who are not "educated" on a genre usually say "It all sounds the same to me"

I think there is a kind of blind accuracy to that point. Most stuff does sound the same. We have the obligation, if you consider yourself an artist, to try and buck convention and create something new. Even though we are all contributing to the massive pile of music.

I WAS a soldier and am now a DJ and Producer. Trust me, being a soldier is not a "cool" job. People growing up playing video games like call of duty or whatever else simulates combat and war idolize soldiers because it seems cool.

"Once that first bullet goes over your head, politics and all that other s*** goes out the window"

Right but the difference I would say is, if you are American soldier you have to fight in dumb wars.

I mean like if you were a soldier in the wermatch, or an ancient army. Hell even a zulu army I can dig it!

If you were a soldier fighting for the biological right for your people to exsist then you would feel like hero.

In USA you are fighting for the right for men to marry donkeys and women to walk around in thong with tatoo on face, also when you come back from leave people don't really feel what you have done. Your have to take my word for it, if you were fighting for a worth while cause the bullets flying over your head would sound as sweet as triplet hi-hat rolls. Also as for the point about music, The thing with music is this, these crazy complicated dance styles of music they make today, they are all for producers to listen to. They don't actually make music for normal people to enjoy any more. Its all about using millions of techniques. In the old days producers would try to work out how the ordinary listener would approach their music. Normal people do not hear things in the same way as some one who sits in a room tweaking eq boost for 16 hours a day. Nowadays music is a self indulgent producer thing. The music is either to complicated or just bad. I would say Dr Dre is a great example of someone who makes music for the end listener and not just himself. And also every band and act from the 80s also done that. The 80s were intellectual times indeed, a time of true knowledge and understanding. When it was cool to not be a stupid!

Last edited:
No that's not true at all. Culture is a top down thing, the people at the top decide whats going to be hot.

doesn't mean that if you make that your gonna rise in the "top down thing". i agree with the fact that being different will make you succesfull. if it's not for the style you have it will be for the balls you have. record labels like different cus it's promotable!

something you've never heard before VS another Major Lazer wannabe

I would say that being different is not necessarily a hard task to achieve considering the fact that you are a different person from the rest of the world. However, some people get caught in the trap of being a "Type Beat" producer. Now does that mean making type beats are wrong? NO!!! I make them myself, but I don't start out trying to make my beats sound like what an artist would rap/sing/write to. I just let my creativity flow and if they so happen to sound a certain way, then I name my music accordingly. Even if I say for instance (J. Cole Type Beat", does not mean it actually sounds that way either. It's all in trying to create exposure anyways. But one thing you should always remember is "Don't Be A Desperate Producer". If you need evidence of this, then search "i need beats" on twitter. A lot of producers still hit up OTHER producers asking if they need beats. It's annoying, but hilarious.

Back