Writing melodies

i__abhi17

Can anyone explain me how big edm producers write the melodies of their song ?
I mean when I look at their melodies ..I can't find any connection between the notes used by them according to the principles or rules of music theory . I mean do they just randomly select notes which sound good and create a melody out of it or is there some kind of advanced music theory to it ?

Sometimes I see a producer who is using the c scale started his first note on C, 2nd on f# and the last on A

I really can't find any relation between the keys . I mean I thought C wa made up of C ,E,G keys

Last edited:
lemme know if you find out because I'm clueless as hell, ive even downloaded midis and tried to study it looking for some relativity to speak of, i can't find anything lol.

I mean do they just randomly select notes which sound good and create a melody out of it or is there some kind of advanced music theory to it ?
Both. Probably with 90% of big dance producers more the first one.

Just the producer is starting the scale with a C doesn't mean it's a C scale.
If you post the example with C F# A I could tell you what scale it is

It's all about feeling and searching for the next note. Just some producers find that note much faster because they've honed that instinct.

It's all about anticipation. What emotion are you feeling? What do you anticipate coming next? You have to ask yourself when picking the next note. And no, these aren't just random notes, because if they were the melody would SOUND random. You have to put purpose behind each note. It will then sound intentional and be clear to the listener. Writing a melody is much like speaking. When you speak if you make a certain inflection with your voice, you could sound like you are posing a question, or making a statement, you could even sound unsure, insecure, or confident, not to mention the whole myriad of emotions we experience. It's the same with music. We can sound monotonous or boring or we can be full of passion.

The purpose is to find your intent. What do you want to convey to the listener? Whatever you are feeling when you write the track you will convey it to your audience. Are you bored with the track, frustrated? It will sound like that to the listener. Did you craft with purpose and emotion? You will convey that to the listener.

Most important of all is that this is a skill and can be learned and improved upon over time. I don't even know music theory so just throw your knowledge out the window. Use your emotional intelligence, and feel with your heart more than with your head. Music is all about the soul.

Back