Working on songs and then not releasing them

RuSty1

Recently I've been working really hard on improving the quality of my music. I really want the next song I release to be a huge step closer to better quality electronic music.

I've run into this problem where I start a song with a basic idea that I love. It could be a whole drop or just a single element of a track. I then build off this and branch out until I've got a full song. My problem is by the end of the process I've worked on this track really hard and now I dont think it's very good. I don't have that initial excitement to release this track.

I'm very new to making art and I'm guessing this is probably pretty common. I listen to sections of my track over and over and sometimes I listen to it when I'm not even going to work on it. I just want to make sure that the idea is still good so I know its worth working on. Sometimes I listen to the idea and I don't like it and then sometimes I do. Its getting very confusing and throwing me off.

Currently I'm sitting on 3 finished tracks I initially thought where very good and were my best work yet.

How do I fix this problem? Should I stop listening to my tracks so much? Or are my expectations just too high?

I used to have this same problem. My advice would be to not to rush pushing your music out there if you personally aren't satisfied with it yet. Practice everyday until your songs dont make you cringe, then put out material.

In general it is always better to only promote something that you really believe in. That being said you'd do good to release something and see how many people you can reach. You'll see that it is not so easy in the beginning to get exposure. Promoting your tracks and getting listeners is something you have to work on too and it is better to learn that skill sooner than later.

I literally just started 6 months ago and i've probably started well over 100 projects in Logic. Most of them consist me of getting out ideas the best way I know how know, with the intention to re-visit them and further build them out later as I continue to learn more.

Last edited:
I have had this problem for years and still do today. What helps me is to not spend so much time on the track. Limit the amount of time you spend on making the track and push yourself to make your music as fast as you can. When it's finished you just move on to the next one finish that one and so on. when you decide to stop then you can go back over your tracks and listen to each of them and compare. You know when you got a good one. :)

Last edited:
I've been working on my album for a couple years now... Currently I have 6 (5) songs I'm really happy with... I had 9 at one point and only 2 in the current list were here at that point.
Probably thrown away close to 40 tracks... Some of them have been used for other things; most are in my dump folder....

We are our own worse critic.

Last edited:
Back