Workflow to make a beat

maurostu04

I'm currently using Maschine 2.3. I looking for for suggestions on a better workflow to help me complete a beat. I don't make it too far with my current workflow. Maybe I'm trying to rush to make a beat. I wanna be able to turn on Maschine and bang out a beat while I'm inspired. But my current workflow kills my inspiration. This is what I do:

1. Pick some drums that go together
2. Get them to bang loud
3. Creat 3 drum patterns
4. Look for an instrument or a sound

And that's as far as I get. It takes forever to find a sound I'm looking for and I just give up. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Hey maurostu04,

Personally I'd not do Number 2, you can take care of that later on ;) I love to start with a special sound, like I once for example hit a fork on a plate and thought - I'm gonna make a beat out of that - I feel like it is easier to find samples when you have this sound that gives you a starting point and a direction in which you are going...

Hope that I was able to help you :) All the best,
♢Artless Venture

I use Maschine as well.

my workflow starts in the record shop.
then sat in my chair listening to records til I find a sample I can work.
record the sample. Truncate, stretch and chop (slice) the sample (in that order).
lay down a 2-bar 'guide' drum pattern.
lay down first set of chops.
go back to drums.
lay down more chops.
back and forth til I'm happy.
export audio to DAW.
Re-arrange and mix

I have the same problem. I would make a melody or chord progression and then I listen to it over and over again until I feel like it's shit or sounds too much like a popular song and then open a new project. Don't know how to get out of this loop.

I use Maschine as well.
my workflow starts in the record shop.
then sat in my chair listening to records til I find a sample I can work.

I always start with the sample, because starting with drums you don't know what direction the sample is going to take.

Also, speaking of workflow, if any of you want to use Maschine without a controller, but feel handicapped. Checkout the video from the Maschine Minute Tips link in my signature.

Last edited:
When I'm chilling (not making beats), I find it easier to go through all of my sounds and to write a list of the ones that are my favorite.
West Coast style synth - dope
Sub-bass - would be good layered with a horn
Synth Horn 13 - Best horn sound for bass
Synth Horn 18 - Best horn for lead
Concert Piano 3 - Best piano for lead melody

...and, so on.

My actual workflow when making a beat is the same as yours; I create the drums, have them build up and down for 3 minutes or so, then I make the "hook" by basically playing a bunch of instruments over the top of eachother, then taking some away for the verses. I find that having a "cheat sheet" of instruments I've picked out over the week helps to keep me moving.

And if I'm not feeling them at the time, then I can revert back to my usual process of clicking through sounds and gradually getting bored when I can't find the right now.

It might not help you, but it definitely helps me. Sometimes I even challenge myself and say "I am going to create a beat with THIS synth" for example, then force myself to do that.

Back