Work Ethic

daviddavid123

Hello everybody. Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I'm looking for a little help. I've been making beats for two years and I've gotten to the point that I only finish about one or two beats a week, and that's when I'm working hard. The problem is that I get so caught up trying to make everything sound perfect and by the time I get about halfway done the melodies sound played out and boring to me. However if I rush I don't usually like how it turns out. Any tips to get faster without losing quality?

IMO, I don't think there's anything wrong with putting out 1-2 quality beats per week, rather than 5-6 that are rushed and bad.

As for the melodies sounding played out, I think that comes with recording and mixing - it can get repetitive, and that's stressful for a lot of people. Just keep in mind your listeners are going to hear the melody for the first time, like you did when you first laid it down all excited about it. Have faith in what you recorded.

(If you're in it for some kind of beatselling business, read below. If not, ignore below and just have fun with it!)

How many are you selling? If you sell a lot, then you're doing fine at this pace, or you can put in more time to really drive sales up. If you're not selling, then A, you don't need to resupply anything. And B, maybe it means you need to keep quality the priority and take even more time to perfect your beats. In this case, I'd say your work rate is still fine, but maybe you can also work on marketing yourself and your beats to increase sales/exposure.

At this point I'm not selling any but I'm working with local people and as word gets out more and more people want beats, so my demand is going up but my supply isn't ?. I appreciate the advice though. It's good advice and I need to keep it in mind

learn little trick keys on the keyboard so you don't have to click everything using a mouse and use stuff on the key board.. and also forcing yourself to quickly make high quality music will only stress you out.. so i'd fall back on that..

Dude. I'm 35, married, step-father of a 10 year old, have a baby on the way (about 8 weeks to go) and work a full time job.
I get a couple evenings a week plus Sundays (#HipHopSundays) for making music. I get about 2 tracks a month finished if I'm lucky!

Don't sweat it Bro. Life'll take over before you know it...

worry about the creative side of producing first (melodies arrangement sounds etc) then do the processing and mixdown of sounds once the track is done

Back