Why Are You Afraid To Give Free Beat Downloads?

DAHTrump

DAH Trump
Why Are You Afraid To Give Free Beats Downloads? Whether you give free downloads or not, what are your fears of giving away free beat downloads?

Giving something away for 'free' diminishes the impression that it has a value, and is not worthless. It's different if you're already a big name, but trying to get a foothold in the market is difficult when every Earl and his grandmother is giving away beats. Most of which are complete trash, and maybe that's why they're free because they can't be sold.

Say for example, a Website was giving away ''free VSTs'', it's likely that I wouldn't bother checking that out, because the word ''free'', in my mind, equates to garbage. I know that's not the right attitude to have, but in most cases it's true.

If a VST manufacture was new to the market and made a sexy new VST worth say, $100. Rather than giving it away for free, they'd more than likely have greater success/better feedback selling it for say $15, and giving a 30 day trial or w/e so it can still be tried for 'free'. Most decent people will end up buying the VST if it's of value to them.

The saying 'you never get nothing for free' still holds true to this day, and time is money. I don't have the time to scout the internet for free shit, I'd rather buy something decent than spend days searching through reams of free VSTs in the hope to find a hidden gem.

Two cents.

Last edited:
I think you should give away free tracks for sure but make them only 1min long
it should be just a taste
now if you're just starting out you may want to give away about 10 beats away to artists you actually network with and that actually do songs
why you ask
so you can go back on your website's dashboard and make a discography of ten song(hopefully supports your genre(niche market) and are dope songs)
other artists respond to that
it's good for marketing and newer artists that you network don't know you gave away free beats because you never publicly said you did

only that you have some free sniplets
because if a artists wants to vibe towards your beat they can do that straight from the computer they don't need to download a track

don't let Soundclick do all the work ..make your business practices/networkskills do 90% of the lifting your actually beat 10%

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

I think you should give away free tracks for sure but make them only 1min long
it should be just a taste
now if you're just starting out you may want to give away about 10 beats away to artists you actually network with and that actually do songs
why you ask
so you can go back on your website's dashboard and make a discography of ten song(hopefully supports your genre(niche market) and are dope songs)
other artists respond to that
it's good for marketing and newer artists that you network don't know you gave away free beats because you never publicly said you did

only that you have some free sniplets
because if a artists wants to vibe towards your beat they can do that straight from the computer they don't need to download a track

don't let Soundclick do all the work ..make your business practices/networkskills do 90% of the lifting your actually beat 10%

-Coach Antonio

I like the idea about snippets, pretty good concept. I never understood why some people loop the same song 5/6 times (with nothing extra to it) to create a 5-6 minute beat. Makes no sense to me

I dont think there is anything wrong with giving out free beats, especially if they're just sitting round collecting dust and not doing anything.

If you got your tag over it, and its a good beat.. it will stand out over the not so good beats, and people will know who made it.

I dont think there is anything wrong with giving out free beats, especially if they're just sitting round collecting dust and not doing anything.

If you got your tag over it, and its a good beat.. it will stand out over the not so good beats, and people will know who made it.

you should
better yet need to be picky about
who you give free beats to

my requirements for a free beat are
1.the artist(s) can flow/sing
2.the artist(s) is actually going to make a song(and the song is made with quality vocal and overall mix) or let me mix the song for fee!!!!!!
3.the artist(s) is actually active online and offline promoting the finished products(from social media to backyard BBQs)I will also promo it too!!!!
4.the artst(s) follow Christ fully not sure I love Christ but they music doesn't fit that mission
5.the artist(s) wants to continue networking with me on a high level(even though we are both busy grinding) in other words staying in contact

now other just may want to give beats away and never know if they will see anything from it
take steps to barter for your product(your beat) for
1.exposure
2.song to add to your discography

dont give away a beat so some person can rap over it in their car while driving
or make a song on crap equipment to only play it for family and friends and none of them care about buying beats or even know about you

-Coach Antonio

Last edited:
a free download is not a free beat! you should def give out free downloads for anyone who wants to listen to your music or make a youtube vid of theyre friends free styling to your beat, anything you can do to get your name out there, people are so worried about other people stealing theyre beats! it dont work that way, anyone spending the money to get theyre music pressed or on itunes and spend money to get it advisement online and get theyre name out there is not going to risk all that work over not buy a lease..... give a free download for the fan

Giving away beats to actual artists >>>> untagged and downloadable beats on Soundclick. You tap into a wide range of fan bases this way, some of which will convert to being fans of your music.

Worse comes to worst, put an acapella over your beat. It does a lot more for your music than just putting them out for free download.

My .02 as both a rapper and beginning producer

a free download is not a free beat! you should def give out free downloads for anyone who wants to listen to your music or make a youtube vid of theyre friends free styling to your beat, anything you can do to get your name out there, people are so worried about other people stealing theyre beats! it dont work that way, anyone spending the money to get theyre music pressed or on itunes and spend money to get it advisement online and get theyre name out there is not going to risk all that work over not buy a lease..... give a free download for the fan

but just allowing free downloads isn't good business practice to me since there are tons of free downloads available now
so I'm taking another route and givng away free downloads/free beats to a specific pool of artists/media companies
this way you can actually see how this is effecting your business if ppl are actually making songs to your beats
gain valuable data and use that data to enhance your future placements

-Coach Antonio

So many reasons here huh. But I guess it depends on your motive. There is this guy on youtube who makes great quality beats and he would post them untagged. As of late he tagged his beats and he stated because he discovered someone trying to sell some of his beats.

So if you're okay with someone else selling your beats with no credit to you then you can give them away. Otherwise, tag them. If you don't have a voice put and annoying beep somewhere.

And a good bit of beat makers online tend to have free beats tagged in various locations. Some persons would want to get a flow before buying, which is fine.

But if your work is good, and you give it for free, not everyone has a good heart and would be respectful of your gestures.

I find that giving free beats is a great way to spread you're brand.

I guess its all preference. Particularly for me. I rather give the free beats, since Im pretty new online I need to have someway of getting ym work spread around. If you have things tagged properly I dont see what the problem is...

One thing I noticed is that when I give a free beat to a credible artist, 98% of the time, they don't use it, even when they BEG for it. So, I STOPPED giving away free beats. I used to have a "finish your plate" policy where if you don't use any of the free beats I gave you, then forget about asking me for a free beat ever again. Now, for me, it's more like "buy your plate or earn it."

Now, I only offer free downloads. If artists truly want a free beat, I tell them they have to earn it. They'd have to professionally record over the TAGGED version of my beat and if I feel like it's worthy, I MIGHT CONSIDER giving them the free beat (Don't you find it weird that some artists will pay for studio time, flash $100+ on music videos, but not buy your beat?). If they have a huge fan base and are active promoters, they have more leverage.
If you're a producer just starting out, giving free beats is a good thing to do, but when you've been out there for quite a while, then don't go further than free downloads unless you have a plan. I heard my dad say once, "If you're ever going to do something (business wise) make sure there's a great reason for it. Business men always have a plan." So, if you're giving away free beats, make sure you have a plan, and a very good one at that.

One thing I noticed, though, is that if you offer free downloads, people are more open to buying your beats. A guy "robbed" one of my free downloads the other day and cut it in certain places so it can sound tagless (he left my tags in the intro "to give me credit" and contacted me about it. Kind of like saying, I robbed your wallet and here's the money I stole. Don't worry, I left your family picture in your wallet). He released a professional quality music video to it with professional quality vocals and showed it to me. I liked it and didn't complain (actually ended up promoting it). I showed him a new set of beats I had and he eagerly bought a lease to one of them the next day (even though my zinsta store wasn't working).

Also, as a starter selling beats, I've always wanted my beats to be on someones ipods, mp3 players, radios, etc. If you ever had the same dream, free downloads is the way to go. I heard thats how people like Vybe Beatz got famous. They'd give free downloads, a person would play their track and then the artist would be like, "that beat's so dope! Who made that??" Then the person would be like, "Vybe Beatz did!"

Remember though, there's a difference between free downloads and free beats. Free downloads are short or full-fledged previews of your beat that are "distorted" in some way and can only be "undistorted" when purchased. Free beats are the full-fledged, "undistorted" beats.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

ppl are only scared when its not copyrighted

True, if your beats are copyrighted, you truly have nothing to fear. People use tags as a temporary replacement to copyright.

Back