Why Quantize?

osiB

Why is quantize used? I decided to try out the quantize function one day because I hear people talk about it. As soon as I quantized the melody I played it really messed up the rhythm of it. It sounded really generic....

If people aren't very good on the keyboard then it allows them to get there notes on beat - this does however take away the natural feel of the melody.

i usually play it and then when its really off key i may quantinize it and then move it around so that it sounds more natural

I can keep beat fine, but I usually prefer quantizing since I grew up listening to mostly quantized beats.
Sometimes you just want your samples to sync perfectly with your drums.
I tend to think the majority of people quantize most of thier beats.

I do leave quantize off sometimes though, and it does sound more natural(because it is), but it just depends on what type of sound I'm going for.

osiB said:
So when should one use it?
Whenever it sounds good with the beat.
No need to turn it off just to prove how well you can play without it.
Everyone has thier own groove when they jam drums out. Sometimes I just want a locked in groove.(most of the time)

Last edited:
you can still get a good feel using quantize. it just depends on the person. i only use quantize on the very first track then turn it off and do the rest with out it.that way the first part acts like a marker or something too line up the rest of the beat.the idea that just because someone uses quantize its gonna sound robotic is silly.

clarhck5 said:
the idea that just because someone uses quantize its gonna sound robotic is silly.

Maybe I'm just using it at the wrong times then, because every time I use it it sounds robotic.

I quantize my kicks and snares with little quantization about %5-%25 percent of a note. It's really suing too much quantize kills the rhythm. Some instruments such as percussion I think shouldn't be quantized. They are supposed to have a live and loose feel as if it was a real band playing.
This doesn't mean playing to the sequencer;staying on beat.

A lot of great keyboard players don't quantize at all, it sounds great.

Last edited:
osiB said:
Maybe I'm just using it at the wrong times then, because every time I use it it sounds robotic.
your not doing anything wrong. Quantize is mechanical time correction so if u over do it you will sound robotic. If u r good at playing without quantize id definately play without it dont worry about features u can do better without

i quatize because of latency then i just move the notes a bit so i have it the way i like

Another thing is applying swing, wich can if done right sound much less robotic.
Dj Premier, and Pete Rock are famous for thier quantized swing.
Preme swings heavey on the beat, and it's one of his trademarks.
Pete Rock seems to use swing in lesser amounts, and seemed to also turn quantize off on some of his beats.

Mainboi23SX said:
I quantize my kicks and snares with little quantization about %5-%25 percent of a note. It's really suing too much quantize kills the rhythm. Some instruments such as percussion I think shouldn't be quantized. They are supposed to have a live and loose feel as if it was a real band playing.
This doesn't mean playing to the sequencer;staying on beat.

A lot of great keyboard players don't quantize at all, it sounds great.

I agree...I just Quanitize my Kick and Snare most of the time...

That's the problem...MOST of the more inexperienced producers are doing ALL their drums on the SAME track...so you CAN'T Quanitize each sound individually. That is what makes Beats sound robotic...

I separate EVERYTHING from the START so when I quanitize I can choose which elements I want to quanitize....I dont get that robotic sound unless I WANT it....

There are a GREAT number of people who DONT know how to properly use Quanitize.....I was at Guitar Center some months ago and there was a guy making a nice track on the motif, so I asked him did he Quanitize his tracks and he was like "What is that?".... I STRUGGLED not to laugh out loud as I explained it to him....

We gotta READ...Practice and READ some more...

:D

BigBrotherMotown said:

That's the problem...MOST of the more inexperienced producers are doing ALL their drums on the SAME track...so you CAN'T Quanitize each sound individually. That is what makes Beats sound robotic...

I separate EVERYTHING from the START so when I quanitize I can choose which elements I want to quanitize....I dont get that robotic sound unless I WANT it....

There are a GREAT number of people who DONT know how to properly use Quanitize.....I was at Guitar Center some months ago and there was a guy making a nice track on the motif, so I asked him did he Quanitize his tracks and he was like "What is that?".... I STRUGGLED not to laugh out loud as I explained it to him....

I know what you mean. Talking about Guitar Center, I got to go back up there. Some dude was on a MOTIF just playing keys had the VOLUME up to 100 just playing a WHOLE BUNCH OF MESS. I had to finally turn the MPC UP LOUD and BANG OUT a TRACK just so he won't look bad.

when i first started i didnt even know what quantize was and i was able too get everything on time. once i found out what it was i started having a harder time with timing

BigBrotherMotown said:

hmmm id consider myself more of an experienced producer and when I quantize I can do it differently to different instruments on the same track depending on what im using. but as the thread states why quantize? especially if u dont have to I dont think dude not quantizing is a reason to laugh at him. Hell he might be new production but a decent keyboard or piano player.

When I first started that was on off the first things I saw...I didn't even need to read anything on it I just knew what it did by playing with it.

Back