Why does my tracked out beats sound different from the mp3 beat

Royalp

recenty have just bought my first few beats.. I put the mp3 or WAV in my DAW and then record my vocals but when I mute the mp3 and then put the track outs in my DAW it is off beat.... when I play my tracked out beats in my DAW and play them along with the mp3 there is a large echo and the snare/claps seem to be almost doubled... Just wondering if this is normal and why I am experiencing this..

Mp3 encoders tend to add a bit of space to the beginning of the file because the decoder needs some time to, well, decode the file for playback. The bottom line: don't use mp3s in production.

I have been forced to use mp3s in production, requiring me to line-up a full-mix mp3 and an instrumental mp3. I did this by placing the tracks next to each other, zooming way in, and lining them up visually. If you zoom in on a spot with powerful transients, you can line it up to the sample just by looking at the waveforms. You should be able to compare the mixed mp3 to a drum track to accomplish the same goal.

But agreed, stay away from dealing with mp3s in production.

I have been forced to use mp3s in production, requiring me to line-up a full-mix mp3 and an instrumental mp3. I did this by placing the tracks next to each other, zooming way in, and lining them up visually. If you zoom in on a spot with powerful transients, you can line it up to the sample just by looking at the waveforms. You should be able to compare the mixed mp3 to a drum track to accomplish the same goal.

But agreed, stay away from dealing with mp3s in production.

Yeah I noticed when I zoomed way in that the MP3 song was actually a little longer than all the tracked out beats... I don't produce music, I just rap and always would just rap to free mp3 beats but im trying to be more professional now so what I been doing is download the free MP3, recording to it and then if i thought the song was good then I buy the tracked out version from the producer and would place the track outs into the song I already recorded and then I would mute the mp3 beat and find that my vocals were a little bit off

In that case it should be fairly easy to just do what Milo Burke did - zoom in & align manually. There's of course a bunch of reasons why the mp3 in a scenario like this might be of different length than the .wav version...

Back