Why do people use Tape Simulations plugins?

M

mkamsi

Why people use tape simulation plugins ?
For e.g. a tape simulation plugin fro waves.

to try and simulate analog tape warmth...like tape machines. Its not a huge effect its just a touch some ppl like.

Last edited:
Tape simulation lugin are the best thing that happened in the plugin world... Really if you know what you're doing it sounds amazing

Tape simulation lugin are the best thing that happened in the plugin world... Really if you know what you're doing it sounds amazing

havent paid much attention to em..how do you like to use them? Are they a different kind of amazing than an amazing distortion plugin?

Last edited:
First of all I mix into one...
It's hard for me to explain it, a good tape would pretty much make everything glue together better...

First of all I mix into one...
It's hard for me to explain it, a good tape would pretty much make everything glue together better...

I do agree, it is hard to describe. To me, tape saturation sounds better and I guess "warmer" than regular distortion. I think it's slightly similar to the idea of soft knee vs hard knee compression.

It's all about emulating analog feel of warmth into a purely digital (or even another analog) signal, ie the music. Some genres demand this kind of feel, others don't. Depends on that you want to achieve.

Isn't that a bit like people going for physical analog synthesizers because it has a certain sound?
Because that I agree with.

If you heard a real, reel to reel tape machine you'd never want to use a plugin again...but they def add something to ur sound I like to put them on my drum buss

I've used real tape machines (still own two) and would never consider a plug-in to create the sound. If I really wanted it I could simply patch-out to the tape machine and then back-in to my daw

tape produces a very soft compression in much the same way that tube amps do but transistor amps generally don't: once the tape reaches maximum flux it cannot change the magnetic features of the tape any further no matter how hard you try to drive it; i.e. you cannot over-distort on tape but you can in a plug-in, unless the designers have built in a limiting factor....

Back