Why do I suck at making beats?

RozayTittays

I'm 16 and I started making trap beats in January. I have honestly learned a lot throughout the months that I have been working.

I have learned how to master a beat pretty well, I know how to mix snares together to make them sound good, and I could make a pretty descent drum pattern.

The only thing that I have noticed that I have barely improved on is the instrumentals which is probably the most important part of the beat. I don't know if its just the sounds that i'm using but I just never feel satisfied with what I create.

I have nexus 2 and I use like a couple of the soundfonts from lex lugers drum pack.

For the brass I only use the ZE Ensable brass that I have in the lex luger pack. It's the only brass I use since I couldn't find any better one over internet that I was able to download for free.

I always make sure to layer my brass in different octaves in order for it to sound full. Then I add some reverb to it so that that it doesn't sound too dry.

Once in a while I might even add some of lex luger's orchestra hits to give it more of a trap feel.

From there I don't even know where to go. I open up the Nexus plugin and I use some of the pads or piano keys and I try to make create a melody. I could make a decent melody with a piano alone but I could never get it to match well with the brass sound or the synth.

I try to have at least 3 instruments in my beat so that it has a variety to it and so that it sounds good. So far I have not yet created one beat that I was completely satisfied with.

I honestly don't know how these producers make their instruments sound so perfect with each other. I have looked on youtube and I've seen videos of producers make hits withing like 5-10 minutes.

I've even seen this one producer my age manage to create a track that you'd hear on the radio in such a short amount of time. What could I possibly be doing wrong? I want that young jeezy type feel to my beats. Here are some of the songs that I want my beats to sound like.

Rick Ross-600 Benz

600 Benz - Wale Feat. Rick Ross & Jadakiss (Official Video) - YouTube

Rick Ross-Box Chevy

Rick Ross - Box Chevy (Explicit) - YouTube

Young Jeezy-23, 24

Young Jeezy 23, 24 (Kobe, Lebron) NEW (2009) - YouTube

Young Jeezy-Get Right

Young Jeezy - Get Right (Explicit) - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
you do not suck at making beats. no one starts off a pro lol have faith in yourself. you have a lot to learn but 1. get better vst's. 2. dont try to sound like anyone, make your own style. (thats how ppl get famous, they do something different!) 3. dont just make trap beats, expand your palette and youll become a better producer.

Whatever you do, don't get dishearted! Seek inspiration in everything. It takes many years to train your ears into hearing what fits and what don't. Keep working with what you have and eventually you'll get to where you want to be.

Cliché, I know, but somebody is going to have to say it!

Gladiator, Hypersonic 2, Purity, Sylenth. That combination of VST's has made alot of your favorite trap beats. Hypersonic has some good brass/orchestra..

All I have to say is that half a year is next to nothing in the world of making music. Imagine people who spend their whole lives perfecting their instrument playing skills, or people in the electronic music industry who started playing around with sequencers when it was just being born.. To think that you'd be great in this short period of time is rather naive. Give yourself some time and study harder and practice more.

Last edited:
I second that emotion

into my 38th year of doing this stuff and doesn't get any easier

you have left out some crucial information in your questions and statements

what theory do you know? (Notes/chords/scales/etc)

what does your music currently sound like? - an audio example or two will be far more telling than any words you can offer us

do you actually play an instrument (keys/guitar/?) or do you mouse this stuff in? (PS I mouse most of my stuff in but play many band and orchestral instruments and sing as well)

I'm 16 and I started making trap beats in January.

That's the answer to your question.. ^^^^

The beats you mentioned are by producers who have put YEARS of experience in producing... your not even a year in so your just not going to be up to their level for a while

Plus your only 16. I guarantee by the time your 18 you will be able to make better beats, even if you stop producing now. Why? Because with age your perception of what sounds good matures, because of the extra 2 years of simply LISTENIN to music.

Theirs a saying "The eyes are useless when the mind is blind"

Now that doesnt relate to you, but what I means is; spotting WHAT sounds (or looks) good is one thing. But spotting WHY it sounds good is another (the mind is no longer blind). Which comes with time and experience. So dont be disheartened. Your only 16 with 6 months producing experience.

Last edited:
hey man im 16 aswell and my beats arnt the best but there getting there just stay on it everday and try o make ur instrumental ur own with a artist feel to it. since u like trap make a trap beat that ur fav trap artist would rap to but make the 808s dif or lead dif to make u feel it

I am new as well been producing for about 3 months or so, i don't play instruments so figuring out notes were hard. Simple youtube tutorials and trying to memorize chords has helped me improve tremendously. it just takes time

If i had to relearn scales I'd download piano booster game, then download the midi files for all the scales and just play the game till you get at least 70% every time.

you do not suck at making beats. no one starts off a pro lol have faith in yourself. you have a lot to learn but 1. get better vst's. 2. dont try to sound like anyone, make your own style. (thats how ppl get famous, they do something different!) 3. dont just make trap beats, expand your palette and youll become a better producer.

Telling him he needs to go and buy better VSTs to become a better producer is just adding fuel to this stupid fire that seems to be burning everywhere

make pretend youre 26.....someone just said you can go back to being 16......now - methodically learn and build and educate yourself with music and production so that when youre 26 again you'll be where you want to be.....or....you can dick around....get frustrated......ditch the whole thing.........but I would be willing to bet if you look long term and remember remember remember BUILD METHODICALLY your knowledge base youll succeed with great confidence......don't overwhelm yourself with which plugin to get or which DAW youre using.......ive seen thirsty people hammer some sick beats out of an cell phone.....the bad carpenter blames his tools....stay in it to win it......methodically.....

Last edited:
Cause your 16 and started making beats in January. Work on music for a few hours every day for a year and you'll be 17 and making really good beats. Watch as many tutorial videos as you can! And never get discouraged, beats that suck are learning experiences!

DONT LISTEN TO THE OTHERS SAYING YOU HAVE TO BE HAPPY OR PRACTICE! THATS BULLSHIT!

I'm the same age as you, I get angry a lot also, and i was pissed off from making beats that were OKAY but still not radio good. then i started reading about music theory and searching up what i didn't understand. Now it's a lot easier making beats because I understand what to do now.

Even syncopation, accents, subdivision, It applies to even trap music.

I'll leave this here for you homie, progression is the key - remember that.

JfaKeLY.jpg

Last edited:
Back