Where will rap music be in the next 5 years?

youngheadbeats

Press Play, Be Inspired
blog image01.JPG

Where will rap music go next? Trap music has been popular for years, but most recently been a very high demand type of sub-genre in the last 3 years. Seems like every rapper I know is asking around for trap beats. Anyway the question remains, Where will rap music travel to next? All my FP's chime in on this. Do you know the future? What do you see?

Holla,
Young Head Beats
Press Play, Be Inspired…..

It will always be sub-genre. Sub genre attracts more audiences, which means more popularity, which means more money.

I see a lot more EDM style stuff like 'Wild for the night' by A$AP happening. Just my opinion.

It eventually will come full circle like everything else. Hope not to get too philosophical about it but:

The earth rotates everyday, and it revolves every year, that is the premise in it's basic form. There are no new styles and fashions, just old ones with new twist. This "skinny jean" era (for men) actually started in the 50's, died out through time and has emerged again with a new twist. Almost every movie that comes out now is a re-make of another, or a TV program or comic, or some old play or book added with a new twist. Even Hip-Hop itself was built on the foundation of sampling which was taking something old and putting a new twist on it. What goes around comes around simply put

Last edited:
Rap music will continue to be infusion with elements of other styles to make it more attractive to a larger audience. It will continue to be watered down to sound more like "pop".

idk when it will happen but I think edm will completely replace hip hop

This statement makes me wonder what you think electronic dance music really is. I think you have gotten it all backwards man. Hip-hop is not going to be replaced, and certainly not by something that has little to nothing in common with it.

This statement makes me wonder what you think electronic dance music really is. I think you have gotten it all backwards man. Hip-hop is not going to be replaced, and certainly not by something that has little to nothing in common with it.
I don't think the music is very similar except that it's popular with the younger crowd. If you look at large music festivals (Coachella, Lolla, etc.) there has been a huge increase of edm based/dj sets and a decrease of hip-hop acts. There will always still be those hip hop heads, but hip hop needs to change before it gets completely out-shined and lose profitability.

Just because the kids like trap music and the big festivals want to do some new stuff in order to try and follow the "trend" doesn't mean Hip-hop is going anywhere. Real hip hop is not listened to on huge festivals. The best music in the world doesn't reach your radio channel and your favorite music TV channels or even the biggest festivals. What does is mindless junk. Ignorance is what drives the trends, and ignorance always dies and regroups.

While I agree with you that people probably won't stop making it and that there is great music out there that no one has heard, I read the question as what's going to be hot/popular and personally I think that hip hop isn't going to be in the mainstream anymore at some point due to the uprise in edm.

Yeah, I'm sure you are right. "edm" is all the craze right now and it will be for some while, but it'll only stick around until the next "coolest new thing you should listen to" comes along.

Back